ubl-dev message

Subject: UBL vs xCBL 4.0 - and SAP implementations

I’d be interested in comments anyone might have comparing UBL with xCBL 4.0, which I understand to have been  “conformed” to UBL from earlier versions of xCBL.  (Of course, this list won’t need reminding that xCBL was the original basis for UBL), and the pros and cons of each.

The context for this is that I’m interested to identify communities of application users have support for one or other XML standard “out of the box”.  Ariba’s cXML standard has a fair amount of traction out there – but has various IP disadvantages.  My particular focus here is SAP – which had a historical relationship with CommerceOne, originator of xCBL (via Veo Systems).  I’m working this through various folks I know at SAP – but would welcome any additional pointers.  In particular, I was interested to note that AT&T’s supplier facing website includes a document that talks about their support of xCBL 3.0 and 4.0 http://www.attsuppliers.com/downloads.asp

I’m guessing that AT&T’s support of this standard comes via some software/mapping component running on their SAP XI infrastructure – perhaps provided by SAP itself.  For UBL (or any other XML standard) to become widely adopted by corporates, I suspect its availability (and *very* easy activation with trading partners) would be a requirement.  While SAP has been quite engaged with UBL and other standards historically, I’m not aware of any one standard being favored in its “shrink wrap” availability.  If anyone is aware of packages that are “ready-to-run” on SAP XI (with hooks to standard procurement / AP processes) for UBL, xCBL or other standards, open source or otherwise, I’d be interested to hear about it.

Incidentally – Oracle seems well ahead of SAP here (an observation I’ve shared with my SAP contacts).  Certain of their applications seem to support OAGXML natively, and cXML via a standard mapping service – details of the implementation make it *extremely easy* to connect SMB suppliers.  Can discuss more offline if anyone’s interested.

Regards,

Roger Bass

Traxian

Electronic Transactions Made Easy

Roger Bass
Founder & CEO

Traxian
444 de Haro, Suite 210
San Francisco, CA 94107

roger@traxian.com

tel:
fax:
mobile:

(415) 738-1631 C:\Program Files\Plaxo\Users\1594847765\Outlook\content\click_to_call.gif
(415) 680-2361
(415) 595-8957 C:\Program Files\Plaxo\Users\1594847765\Outlook\content\click_to_call.gif

Add me to your address book...

Want a signature like this?