ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL vs xCBL 4.0 - and SAP implementations

Fulton, Stephen et al,

Thanks for your replies (including yours below, Stephen, re UK gov't
status etc). These raise a couple of points about potential UBL
opportunities - but also possible building blocks that might facilitate
the next steps in broadening adoption of UBL, and indeed B2B generally.
Some further background/perspective first:

The central point I think is that implementation drives more
implementation - and mostly that means from big to small. Also, in my
company's practical experience, what's most important in getting
additional business relationships connected end-to-end is:
a) implementation of a B2B interface that's reasonably easy for partners
to connect with (especially for SMBs), and
b) willingness, or better yet, active promotion of that interface to a
community of trading partners (typically suppliers)
c) ability to connect applications & processes end to end (pointy
bracket implementation details being very secondary, and not the hard
part). For SMBs, this mostly means solution availability - very few will
do this themselves.

As far as XML-based B2B goes, I see a fair amount of this out there
around cXML, albeit still small scale. Bigger suppliers are always first
- the usual 80/20. cXML seems to have started filtering down to SMBs,
and we're doing some of that. Vertical industry XML standards are
generally more business critical by definition, which tends to mean more
complexity and cost - either from reliable/secure messaging requirements
(any of them are harder than plain https), and/or needs for tighter
coupling of processes (which drives importance of various kinds of
special tags or data). Given all that, indirect purchasing, and perhaps
government in particular, seems like a relatively sweet spot for SMB B2B
adoption. Where the conditions I described above are met, e.g. with a
government or enterprise that has implemented an XML interface, and
wants to see SMB partners adopt it, my company can connect applications
the SMB suppliers are using - QuickBooks in particular, but others too
via more loosely coupled approaches.

So, to your different points, Fulton, Stephen this points to a few
things that, if they existed, might facilitate broader use of UBL. Given
that, any thoughts as to:
1. Has any UK government entity actually implemented a UBL interface for
suppliers? Or if not, eBIS-XML even?
2. How are the Danes implementing UBL at the government end? On what
platform? Is any of this open source, or commercially provided product
that might be available to others?
3. Re SAP otherwise, is anyone aware packaged/standardized integration
components supporting UBL or indeed any transactional standard? From the
page you sent, Fulton, I saw this showing the various integration
scenarios supported through different product releases (it's now called
SRM) - it's all about catalogs/puchout via OCI... and appears not to
have been touched since 2003! There's another page on 'XI integration of
industry standards' - but that seems rather generic, rather than talking
about any particular XML standard.
SRM
https://www.sdn.sap.com/irj/sdn?rid=/webcontent/uuid/0c492373-0501-0010-
7b8f-d7a65dc9fb07