ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: SV: [ubl-dev] Order items - substitution items - optimization

Bryan,

Thanks for the clarification.

I should have gone the next step and given some examples ; -)

What I'm thinking is this mechanism:

<ParticipantParty role="buyer/seller/etc" name="Fred">

and then of course depending on the context you can have things like:

 <ParticipantParty role="buyer" name="John">
 <ParticipantParty role="seller" name="Anna">

but as we see in the order case this can get more complex :

 <ParticipantParty role="customer" name="Jim">
 <ParticipantParty role="buyer" name="John">
 <ParticipantParty role="seller" name="Anna">

and then even:

 <ParticipantParty role="customer" name="Bryan">
 <ParticipantParty role="customer" name="Jim">
 <ParticipantParty role="buyer" name="John">
 <ParticipantParty role="seller" name="Anna">

I've also seen where this can occur - when a seller has to act as a
proxy for the buyer.

 <ParticipantParty role="proxybuyer" name="Anna">
 <ParticipantParty role="seller" name="Anna">

What this is telling us is that - I believe - there are dynamic
relations - and that in each case you want the exact same block of
information about that party; address, tax codes, contact, etc - and
that is the KEY here - that the information model is the same - just
the role and context changes.

Plus I'd REALLY like to be able to reference out to partnerID - and not
even have to include the data if the participants already know each
others ParticipantParty information...

I guess this is all about optimizations - that obviously when you are
designing the information model in UML you are not so concerned with -
but make a big difference to the end-user experience in actual practice
in the field.   However - as we move more to context driven and process
driven information design - I believe we'll see that these are apparent
- because intuitively humans do this stuff - so its a case of figuring
out how UML/UMM accommodates that smoothly...

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)