ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: SV: [ubl-dev] Danish implementation of UBL published as Good Practice Case in the EU eGovernment Good Practice Framework

Roger,

Super questions and notes - see my responses in-line.

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: RE: SV: [ubl-dev] Danish implementation of UBL published as
Good Practice  Case in the EU eGovernment Good Practice Framework
From: "Roger Bass" <roger@traxian.com>
Date: Fri, February 02, 2007 12:31 pm
To: "David RR Webber (XML)" <david@drrw.info>
Cc: "ubl-dev" <ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org>

David et al,

As you know, my company is probably a reasonable proxy for what's easy
for SMBs to implement here, since we are actually deploying systems for
such businesses today.  Strategically, I'm very inclined to like the
whole ebXML stack, and hope it gains traction.  From a pragmatic
perspective today, however, I have some questions as to what actually
does make more sense for us to do.  All this comes with the caveat that
I am not a technologist, so some of my impressions here may be mistaken.

1. Ease of implementing secure, reliable messaging. We've not had to do
this yet - we have successful, fairly high volume implementations all
working just using https posts of XML via our Apache server.  We'll
doubtless want to add security / reliability features at some point
soon, as volume ramps.  Given that, Axis Sandesha looks like a
reasonable option... and to me at least, appears easier than, say,
Hermes for ebMS.  Comments?

>>> Sandesha is not yet supporting database persistence as default - that's essential - we're using DerbyDB embedded for Hermes.  Most important difference though (because Sandesha is using very similar technical approach) is that Sandesha will only work with Sandesha - you have to have it on both ends.
Whereas Hermes, or any other ebMS - will work together - so because the
mechanism is a standard - its
widely supported - independent of what ebMS engine(s) are involved on
each end. <<<

2. Architecture/ P2P Messaging.  For SMBs especially, low cost and
simplicity are key. Minimizing complexity on the client side is a key
element of that, we've found (leveraging services in the cloud to
handle complexity). For the time being, to us, that points to secure,
reliable delivery being a feature of your hosted mailbox, not the
client.  I don't exclude the possibility of large scale P2P
infrastructure taking off - but not with technologies like Hermes that
require an app server.  Something more IM or Skype-like would be
required, and I'm not aware of any such ebMS implementation.
Consistent with the "hosted messaging mailbox" notion, I think there's
a good argument that says this stuff will scale in a similar way to the
operational map of the Internet itself - ie most traffic being via
peering interconnects of a relatively small number of aggregators
(tens-hundreds) of B2B aggregators.  (BTW, there seems to be some work
going on around open source P2P, but perhaps not quite with a B2B
messaging angle. Intel released the open source Peer-to-Peer Trusted
Library back in 2001... not sure where it's all at now).  Any thoughts
or pointers from anyone here on a lightweight ebMS P2P open source
implementation?

>>> Essentially this is what CDC/PHIN is doing here in the USA.  Their ebMS client is what you are describing indirectly.  Rather than the NIH appliance - which can initiate exchanges - the CDC/PHIN is a push/pull delivery client only - targetted to the CDC/PHIN servers.  They provide hospitals with that client - and its gets stuff out of their ebMS  "mailbox" and drops off the hospitals data.  Big difference compared to SMTP of course is reliable delivery, and binary attachment handling, and dsig, SSL, et al - all of which CDC/PHIN is using.  BTW - the CDC/PHIN system is mission critical for Homeland Security - it supplies all the raw feeds from the emergency response centers and hospitals across the US - in realtime 24x7. There is an OASIS member company supporting them now - and offering that toolkit independently - they are part of the ebMS TC.<<<

3. The stacks (centralized vs decentralized).  I'm not sure we're far
enough along that I get the difference between the heaviness (and
proprietariness) of the centralized infrastructure required in the two
cases. In particular, I'm not seeing why the messaging protocols (note
the plural) that will be used to do these connections necessarily imply
one or other registry model being used centrally (eb vs WS) - which
almost by definition, needs to describe the heterogeneity of what's in
use at various end points.

>>> Agreed on the registry models.  In most cases the end users see only registration web pages, and then REST api's for system-2-system lookups - they have know idea a registry is behind that.

But - and its a big BUT - what I've seen in practice is that government
systems today and security paranoid.  So - its NOT simple to deploy to
an external partner, even just using plain SOAP and SSL.  The challenge
is the INTERNAL Ops procedures to get a new partner stood up on both
test and production systems.  And the more parameters and files and
extras you add to that process - the more chasing you do to support it
- on both ends - the client and server.  And then of course - once its
all working - the following week - ops deploy some new release of the
OS, database, firewall software - and the whole pack of cards stops
working. Then of course - you have maintenance, bug fixes, upgrades.
This is why I said - the real cost of supporting two standards is a
flea bite compared to all of this other essential nonsense - that keeps
the bad guys from hacking into your government systems.

Therefore the fact that ebXML works based on just TWO parts -
certificate and CPA - is vital.  And greatly eases the central and
remote maintenance burdens. That's the weight of infrastructure
footprint I'm referring to. Again PDC/PHIN is a point in case - they
are doing it on a relatively light budget - and certainly hospitals
cannot afford highcosts - they want install and forget simplicity and
reliability. <<<

Hope that helps!

Best, DW