ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] B2B and IT standards... interesting paper and Gartner'sview

Hi Roger,

They're interesting points.

I'd just like to add an alternate perspective that I see at some of my
clients. They're not the same clients as Gartner would have. They're
much smaller of course.

A lot of these clients are in reality going backwards in productivity
with regards to IT and B2B standards.

The reason for this is quite simple.

Large companies now have complex websites and are more commonly refusing
to do data entry. Instead making their smaller Customers do double entry
instead. First into their own accounting system and then into the
suppliers website/online system.

This of course goes against the grain of what many of us promote,
exchanging business messaging. But it's quite true.

I can name many large international companies who work this way. They
don't provide any web-services with automatic upload capabilities. Just
browser based entry screens.

So whilst Gartner may say it is one way that relates to their own
clients, there is a whole 'nother business world out there where the
reality is entirely different.

And the numbers of businesses that operate in this 'alternate' system is
the majority by number... but none of the actual business reporting
mechanisms will mention this because of various commercial loyalties and
concerns that are in place with the big players.

Regards

Davod