ubl-dev message

Subject: SV: Where to next? - It's not the traction, nor supporting two stacks, nor any of this!

Dear David et al

This will be a short post since I have to get back to work on rolling out UBL
infrastructure.

I think that we share the same goal:

1. That it should be possible to exchange business messages with very low
barriers
2. and that it should be possible to do this on an open standards based and
freely available platform.

We are establishing this freely available platform. I think of this as
putting up an ice cream machine with free ice cream. The ice cream comes in
two variations, but we have to pick one of them:

We have the choice of an ebXML organic flavor and the WS-* synthetic flavor
with lots of GMO's. The kids says "Give us the WS-* flavor and we will eat
lots of ice cream. We will integrate the ice cream in the heart of our
applications and do all our home work." I don't mind serving synthetic ice
cream if it can motivate my kids to do their homework.

Once we get the ice cream flowing it will affect the ways we do business
immensely. Adoption rate is critical because the business case for
establishing an infrastructure is incredible. But we have to act fast! Public
sector institutions are building infrastructure from the ground up every day
based on WS-* standards and we have to stop the insane redundancy of efforts
and waste of tax payers money. We can save 300 million USD every year in the
public sector by establishing a shared infrastructure (We are only 5.5
million inhabitants in Denmark). It makes a world of a difference how fast we
can establish the infrastructure. We do not have the luxury to choice of the
organic road because it will affect adoption. We have support from very small
companies as well as big enterprises. The toolkit that we are developing will
make it very easy to use our infrastructure. I do not share the concern that
our approach will only be to the benefit of governments and large
enterprises. It's a business requirement that the baker on the corner should
be able to plug into our infrastructure with OSS components. We have
demonstrated that this can be done.

Well - I am getting back to work. I am so thrilled by what's happening to UBL
at the moment. NES has invited other EU member countries to a workshop in
Brussels on February 15th to get more support. The UBL TC has succeeded in
creating a viral technology and I congratulate all of the hard working TC
members for their contribution. You have given us the payload, which will
drive the establishment and roll out of infrastructure in Denmark and around
the world.

I hope that we can all agree that as long as UBL payload can flow from one
framework to another in a reliable and secure fashion, then we are all OK!

Best regards
Mikkel