ubl-dev message

Subject: Resolving the empasse - UBL v Microsoft monopoly position on the desktop?

Christian / Mikkel,

Again - I really appreciate your frankness here - and I feel for your
situation.

I know - because I have been there on the NIH project too.  What goes on
behind closed doors can get very ugly.

But I have to ask you - where do we draw the line here?  Are you going
to let Microsoft's rationale and force majeure here - extend beyond
Denmark and dictate this to the whole of the NES, and then to Europe?

I'm looking at the situation in Massachusetts and Microsoft Word.
Everyone said - hey these guys will never beat Microsoft - well they
took a stand for open standards and they won the case - Microsoft is
now working on ODF / OOXML interoperability - by proxy - but even so
they are agreeing to implementing this.

And then I look at the Canadian government - they told Oracle they had
to have ebXML v2.0 CPA/ebMS support in Oracle/AS if they wanted an
important contract extension.  So now Oracle has that.

Microsoft could VERY VERY EASILY do the same thing here - sponsor a
company to produce a .NET ebXML solution that fully supports the UBL
approach in Denmark - with pre-built adaptors to the accounting
packages.  If Microsoft did that - there would be a queue of companies
wanting to help.  And Microsoft can easily also sponsor an ebXML
adaptor for Biztalk server - in fact XMLGlobal built just such an
adaptor 4 years ago now - that worked just fine.

So why are you letting Microsoft push you around?  It appears that their
actions here could very easily result in action against them from the EU
- as it already has on other areas.

As for SOA - it is very clear that B2B is an integral part of SOA.  I
just won an award for my project presentation to the US Gov SOA CoP in
October - that showed how to leverage ebXML and OASIS BCM design
approaches to create a synergistic solution.  I used several real
projects to illustrate the concepts including Amazon.com, NIH, and
USPS.  In fact the whole POINT of SOA is that it should work
seamlessly!!!  So if your Danish SOA cannot use ebXML - it's obviously
not an SOA!?!

Let me translate your statement - "but please don't make this a
ideological issue, because that will hurt UBL and it wil hurt ebXML as
well".

Microsoft have said - "OK - we'll help you get UBL working - but on our
terms - no ebXML - only our .NET / WS solution stack.  And from the
aggressive project timetable Denmark has - we don't have any time to
waste on distractions.  We have to focus to succeed. If we get any
trouble from those ebXML zealots - well then - we'll have to seriously
re-consider our participation".

Have not Microsoft ALREADY made this an ideological issue?!?

How much more can you hurt ebXML by totally excluding it from the
solution stack?

I'm not looking to get hysterical here.  Right now I see that you need
to open this up.  There is absolutely NO REASONS why you cannot allow a
parallel small track to work on creating ebXML interfacing along side
the main SOA project.  And working with NES is going to require this.

I'd put 1,000 Euros on the fact that - by starting to look at B2B
extensions to the mainline SOA/WS-* stuff Microsoft is driving - you
will uncover sound design and implementation details that will
otherwise be missed.  Capabilities and extensions that will be most
useful as you extend and expand.  I know - because of the design
experience I had at NIH - and tables and mechanisms I had to fight hard
to get included - that prove there worth everyday.

I point to the Oracle B2B + BPEL experience also - until the Helena
project showed how excellent this was together - they had no idea it
could be so powerful.  Now they are successfully marketing that.

If you truly believe in the principles that we know that UBL stands for
- then you have to redress what clearly the current situation is - that
IMHO is completely at odds with what you are long term seeking to
achieve.

Microsoft can and will be part of the partnership - and they will
respect you for your stance and the decisions that need to be made -
and everyone will prosper more from that - as you are seeking to
achieve for Denmark.  I do not have any problems working with Microsoft
when it is an open relationship.

Don't let the short term ugly spoil the beautiful vision here.

Thanks, DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)