ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Customizing where 'Simpler-Than-UBL' (STU) is needed

This is indeed a key point that we should recognize.

In the current draft white paper on customization i tried to make the
point that we must distinguish conformance from the idea of
compatibility. I will paraphrase this as...

Document conformance for UBL means exactly one thing. A conforming
document doesn’t have any surprises for the business systems that were
designed for the UBL standard. The simple and clear test is that the
documents must validate against the relevant UBL schema. An XML instance
is considered conforming to UBL if there are no constraint violations
when validating the instance against the published UBL schema. This
simple fact enables software developers to proceed with some comfort
that not only will their software have clear specifications but that
correctness of their solutions can be verified.

I take compatibility to mean consistent or in keeping with the
principles of something. It has a softer emphasis and suggests common
agreement on basic principles. I mean it to suggest a shared heritage
but without necessarily guaranteeing conformance.

It is reasonable to expect and encourage implementations that cannot or
do not require conformance to develop compatible customizations where
feasible.

So all documents conforming to the UBL standard will be UBL compatible
but not necessarily all UBL compatible documents conform to the UBL
standard.

We need to make this point so that we can appreciate the benefits of
developing UBL compatible documents. The degree of common understanding
will vary because they are customizations.
We cannot expect automatic conformance but we can expect some degree of
familiarity through the re-use of common patterns.