ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: SV: [ubl-dev] UBL Basics.. try "Productivity"....

Thanks David, for your comments.

At 2007-02-10 21:06 +1100, David Lyon wrote:
>G. Ken Holman wrote:
>>"Basics" is conformance.   I don't see how more basic you can get.
>>One cannot discount namespaces as that is the basis of global
>>identification of information items in XML vocabularies.  This
>>isn't just me and my beliefs or the committee's beliefs ... it has
>>long been accepted that "basic XML" is defined by namespaces:
>Sorry to object so strongly, but it isn't.....

But I think we are talking about different things.

>Basics is getting the job done for the customer in a reasonable time
>and for a reasonable budget....
>
>and moving up the "productivity-scale".....

Absolutely ... but not with short-term shortcuts like abandoning
namespaces to make an instance "easier" to work with by sacrificing
global information item identification.

>Here, we're trying to get this price-relaying thing going... so that
>when a supplier changes the price on an item, new prices are
>recalculated and instantly relayed onto all existing clients so that
>they get the new price spreadsheets or files. The dealer just sets
>the markup level, and the movement of prices up and down goes from
>being a manual operation to an automatic thing.

Kewl!  I'm excited to see UBL used for this, and I wish that it had
been me who had the time to create the sample UBL instances for
you.  With the way UBL is designed, UBL information can precisely and
unambiguously identify the information items you collect in order to
achieve your objective.

>We all must strive to justify our existence in the business world.
>Otherwise we get moved down the food-chain.
>
>Basics are maintaining business efficiency/productivity and aiming
>for conformity.

Absolutely!  I have no issues with the business objectives.

>In reality, if you say you want conformance, then everybody should
>stop working on UBL and just go buy and use office. Because that is
>what most of the business world has decided to use en-masse. I'm
>just calling a tree a tree and a carrot a carrot.
>
>UBL is still quite quirky and maybe still in it's infancy. I think
>it has some way to go before it can demonstrate that it provides
>either minor or significant productivity improvements over
>conventional technologies that a Customer might already have access
>to today. Correct me if I'm wrong.

Well, I think it will be vendors using UBL that will bring
significant *productivity* improvements ... what UBL brings is
significant *interchange* improvements.

XML doesn't *do* semantics, it only labels information in a globally
unambiguous fashion so that users of that XML agree on what the
labels represent and interchange information so labelled.

That applications can act on those labels and achieve global
interchange unambiguously will bring the productivity gains.

Having expressed your pricing information in UBL doesn't
automatically make your pricing application faster.  But I posit that
it makes communicating your pricing information between applications
and to the applications owned and managed by other people more
efficient because the information is appropriately labeled so that
all stakeholders and processes are in agreement with what the labels
are meant to represent.

What I've been talking about in regards to "basics" and conformance
is that some vendors or tools will short circuit the XML design to
make their job of working with the markup somehow "easier", which
puts the burden on users to then take that markup and translate it to
the standard version of the markup in order to make it
interchangeable.  The vendors are putting the work back on the
users.  If the vendors accepted the XML design and worked with the
specified namespaces such that all markup exposed by the applications
conforms to UBL, then the users of those applications won't be
burdened to use their information in the global UBL context.

But, if vendors call the XML they produce "UBL" and it isn't "UBL"
then there will be users who won't understand the nuances and won't
see why their UBL doesn't work with other people's UBL, and they will
blame UBL for not working and may not think to blame the vendors who
don't conform.

It is my opinion that UBL solves the interchange problem between
users and systems ... it wasn't designed to make any given
application faster ... I see its benefit as getting two applications
to convey information faster because they both end up working from
common ground.

Can you see, then, that your comments and mine are about two
different issues?  I'm talking about "basics" from the interchange
point of view, which is different from basics of application runtime
performance.

Thanks for illuminating this distinction, David,

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/bc