ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL- just how reliable are XSD based syntax checks?

At 2007-02-10 12:33 -0700, David RR Webber \(XML\) wrote:
>Ken,
>
>I spotted these statements in the email discussions - that were grouped
>together (see below).

I'm not sure why you addressed me with this, David, as each and every
one of these comments you cite are from Tim, not from me.  I focused
on interchange of information and the conformance of the document
model, *which is what started this discussion*.  Your points are
disingenuous to the thread I started.

>Now - let me postulate that it is entirely possible to create XML
>documents - that while they may conform to the UBL schemas exactly -
>will cause any UBL-based system to crash and fail if they attempt to
>process them

I'll let Tim talk to your points, David, if he wishes but I
personally will stay focused on this discussion about a
tool/technology "providing 100% compatibility with the original UBL
schemas" ... sorry, all along I've been talking about the interface
between two applications according to a published specification and
the normative component of that specification is a set of W3C schemas.

I don't care what CAM may or may not be able to do, and I don't know
what CAM does or doesn't do, as successful interchange and the
challenges you raise are all premised on the information being
identified by being properly labeled using a published XML vocabulary
that everyone recognizes.  Even a CSV file can have data errors and
that's the responsibility of other layers and of tools to determine
on top of basic interchange using CSV.

I didn't bring up that discussion you cite.  I brought up my issues
against the stated notion that somehow an interchange UBL XML
document that doesn't validate against the published XSD schemas
because of stripping namespaces at the convenience of a tool or a
technology can still be called "UBL".  Perhaps the tool is doing so
because it is insufficient to the task and cannot handle namespaces
or it is incorrectly working with namespace prefixes or default
namespaces and not properly with namespace URI strings.

While any technology may be interesting to some, if it cannot handle
a namespace-qualified XML document as specified by the W3C, then it
isn't a fully XML-based tool.  If it cannot take an untouched XML
document with arbitrary declarations of namespaces and the
redefinitions of the default namespace all according to the XML
specification, then it isn't a fully XML-based tool.  There are tools
out there that act this way because they aren't implemented to the
full specification of XML and namespaces for whatever reason.  Back
in the SGML days there were tools that didn't implement all of SGML
and users were told to use a simpler version and simple translation
and somehow "it is all okay".  It is not okay for those people who
wished to use the SGML features that were not supported.  As I said
before, this is a common refrain and we are hearing it again from
vendors of XML-based tools that do not handle what is possible in
XML, and I felt compelled to bring this up because of new users of
XML that have their eye on UBL.

Consider that the popular XSLT stylesheet processors have no problems
with the proper arbitrary use of namespace URI strings, prefixes and
default namespaces, so that means it isn't impossible to implement a
fully-XML-based technology.

And it was Steve's example and comment that illustrates this premise
I've heard from some vendors who have been pushing in the markup
world that for some reason *just to be able to use a convenient tool
that doesn't properly support XML* that the true XML document needs
to be massaged for the tool (not for the user):

At 2007-02-09 09:11 -0700, stephen.green@systml.co.uk wrote:
>After making a schema as previously mentioned with zero namespaces
>(or at most one) and just one schema file I went on to
>customise the Catalogue proper UBL schema files too.
>It does work so far
>though and a simple transformation both to and from UBL proper
>instances is made possible while allowing validation against a
>necessarily simpler schema. Reiterating:- that's a schema with no
>more than one namespace and no more than one module/physical file.

"necessarily" simpler?  Necessarily to what?  A tool?  Create brand
new schema expressions of already-published schemas just to "make it
simpler"?  It is a disservice to users to put the burden of
translation on them if the tool they are using can't handle the UBL
instances they receive or need to send.

At 2007-02-10 12:33 -0700, David RR Webber \(XML\) wrote:
>Conversely then we should note that where the on-the-wire-format in XML
>may be simplified to permit easy processing - while at the same time -
>via a simple transform mechanism like CAM - will provide 100%
>compatiblity with the original UBL schemas - when that check is
>introduced into the process as a conformance check.

And you are using this "simpler" term too and *that's* where I have a
problem, David.  That is why I started this thread.  It is
irresponsible and misleading to a community of new users of XML to
somehow imply that if they are using a "simpler" markup version of a
UBL document that it is a UBL document.

The existence of a "simple" transformation to and from schema-valid
UBL and a "simplified" format is irrelevant and misguiding to new
users who are being told "this is okay, it is still UBL" ... it isn't
UBL and it cannot be used for interchange.

The labels of UBL (which are a combination of namespace URI and local
name, not prefix and full name) are well-defined for interchange
purposes and, therefore, should not be changed.

All I'm saying is do what you want to do behind the scenes, and I
don't care what tools you use, just don't expose as UBL something
that isn't UBL.  Don't publish an XML instance using the UBL local
names and washed of the proper UBL namespaces and call it "UBL"
because it isn't.  That is what Stephen was doing and that was why I
was trying to help the UBL Dev community by taking from my time to comment.

My comments are unrelated to Tim's comments regarding compatibility
and the design of custom business objects based on UBL business
objects ... I'm focused on improperly purporting a UBL-like instance
without namespaces as being UBL.

I'll let Tim respond to your comments, David ... I'll stay focused on
the issues that I started.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/bc