ubl-dev message

Subject: [ubl-dev] UBL Basics.. try "Productivity"....

Actually, it works out quite convenient here in UK public sector
because we have a set of recommended standards for interoperability
which includes CCTS/ISO15000-5 along with UBL (and EAN and eBIS-XML too)
http://www.govtalk.gov.uk/egif/specifications.asp#table19
so one of my instances can be called UBL and the other ISO 15000-5
(with a context of something which I could temporarily call STU).
This means both comply with my public sector requirements in that
sense (maybe the same is so for New Zealand public sector's eGIF).
As long as I use each where it is most appropriate I should be high
and dry here and maybe later with David L too in New Zealand.
http://www.e.govt.nz/standards/e-gif/e-gif-v-3-1/e-gif-v-3-1-total.pdf
I notice the latest version has UBL only under consideration and not yet
recommended. I notice too that:
1. UBL is down both under business transactions and also data modelling
(very pertinent to the last discussion)
2. no other business transaction standard is listed, from what I could see

All the best

Stephen Green

>>> "Stephen Green" <stephen.green@bristol.gov.uk> 12/02/07 10:41:09 >>>
Hi Bryan

Really it's just about a sophisticated implementation of model-driven
architecture, independant of any XML but implementable in XML as
well as anything else like SGML, JSON, even CSV and especially EDI.
It will probably still be around long after XML is forgotten :-) And that
comes from an second generation XML geek :-) I reckon at this rate
EDI will outlive XML though. I might even end up having to sit down
and learn it myself. I was hoping UBL would give me an alternative.

All the best

Steve

>>> "Bryan  Rasmussen" <BRS@itst.dk> 12/02/07 10:31:42 >>>
So well...
Well I don't much care for the CCTS stuff as a developer, hard to see the
benefit to me, but anyway this basically seems to be that UBL should be
serializable as various formats.

There is already a method for doing subsets and localizations. But this
presupposes a usage of UBL that uses namespaces in some way.

Is it wanted to have profiles that do not have namespaces? I guess this means
no reuse of the XML Schemas.

Maybe should do a UBL to RDF conversion. Then the RDF can be serialized in
all sorts of ways (said as an RDF hater)

Cheers,
Bryan Rasmussen