ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Top 10 uses of XML in 2007

Stephen,

This is a strong case of deja vu.

Ten years ago (has it REALLY been that long already?!) - when we first
advocated XML for EDI - the payload size was a major concern.  Back
then dial-up modems were still the major connection means - and some
large systems were sending 35MB of EDI transactions daily.  This all
seems quaint now - where network connections provide 5MB per minute and
faster downloads!!

Back then however the solution was built-in already to the modems - the
higher protocols automatically did ZIP compression on text traffic.
Similarly now - most database and hard drive technology is
automatically compressing content on storage.

It seems to me that this is always going to be a tradeoff - how long
does the compress/decompress take compared to the transmission times?

Notice that in many eGovernment applications the XML component of the
traffic is being tiny compared to the rest of the payload.
Specifically - PDF documents as attachments, or JPG images - in support
of e-filing applications - far outsize the XML - example - eGrant
applications typically are 3 to 5 MB - but only 35K of that is XML.

Seems to me the biggest use of binary today is therefore likely to be
encrypted payloads - since the need to minimize physical payload sizes
is diminished by network bandwidth. And encryption normally is
'on-the-wire' as with SSL. The extra complexity being negated by either
the hardware already compressing things "on the wire" - or simply
providing a negative impact on processing.  E.g. The shippers -
UPS/FedEx/USPS et al - use an XML based format for calculating local
tax on shipments - this is a huge high volume system - peak of 1,000
transactions a second - but the XML is in plain text - because
compression would be a problem.  Transaction sizes are 500 bytes - use
of codes extensive - and small tagnames.

There are exceptions - such as NASA's needs for satellite transmissions
from deep space - but I think for general eBusiness - text rules -
because the cost difference is simply not there for average
transmissions - and the extra complexity not justified.

So - overall I think binary payloads is more applicable to non-XML
content - and the ability of ebXML to already handle binary attachments
- more than covers this.

Just my tuppence worth here.

DW

"The way to be is to do" - Confucius (551-472 B.C.)