ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Re: [ubl-dev] Top 10 uses of XML in 2007

It's interesting then to see how Open Office implements
its Base database. Internally it's just an SQL insert statement
with some XML metadata. But of course it's zipped. At runtime
it is made to look and act as a relational database but it is just
text serialised and deserialised, it seems. Not sure what means
in terms of the discussion. If there were nothing to it more than
that it's a wonder all RDBMS databases don't do this. Surely
they use binary for a reason other than to be fashionable.

Steve

Stephen Green wrote:

> Saying the XML gets compressed on the wire anyway just adds
> to my logic that compression and therefore binary are preferable
> on the wire. But I'd take it further and say they are better for
> applications too: just ceratin circumstances where the binary
> is a real pain (hence the rise of XML I guess)but would that see
> folk throwing away their daatabase in binary and just using the
> file system.

Do you really believe that databases have anything at all to do with
compression or saving space? Databases routinely are multiple times
larger than the actual data they contain. Databases are optimized for
queries and speed, not for size. Size has nothing to do with why we use
a database instead of a file system.

--
*Elliotte Rusty Harold  elharo@metalab.unc.edu
Java I/O 2nd Edition Just Published!