ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Hybrid approach to local vs. global

Thank you, Jon, for extending the input channels to UBL-Dev on this very
important, interesting and at times controversial topic.

I've posted some time back regarding UBL's "global everything" approach
being a hindrance to wider adoption (or something to that effect.  As it has
been sometime back and I couldn't search it in the UBL-dev archive, the
precise wordings I used might differ).  In that thread, I suggested to have
only global types and local elements and argued the basis for that suggestion.

I'm sure most arguments would be familiar with readers on the list.  But some
illustration would be useful.  Most of what I'd like to say is found in
http://www.itsc.org.sg/synthesis/2006/3_XML.pdf

in which the primary ideas are to suggest:
(1) the Use Venetian blind without any global elements (all global types,
     all local elements)
(2) the problem with global elements during validation -
      introduction of additional unexpected "valid" data elements
      because of imports and inclusion of other UBL sub-modules.
      This, therefore, poses a potential security issue there as well.

Perhaps this might invite a lot of other countering debate, but I have not
seen viable alternatives to solve.  I welcome hearing opinions from other
camps.

Best Regards,
Chin Chee-Kai
ITSC