ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Hybrid approach and Re: Minor update to UBL Methodology for Code List

At 2007-03-01 17:17 +0000, Stephen Green wrote:
>Not extremely relevant Ken but I found what looks like an error
>in the CountryIdentificationCode genericode file in UBL 2.0

Thank you for this, Stephen!  I'll pass this on to the TC for
discussion regarding a technical corrigendum on this issue.

>this looks like an error. Were these files generated using XSLT?
>Looks like a script error.

Tim created them so I'll have to wait for him to comment.

>Have the other files been checked?

Not by me ... there are only a dozen files with predefined values.

>which begs the question, which, if any, is normative. I guess that
>leads into the discussion on the schema designs for what comes after
>UBL 2.

Indeed ... and the distinction between technical corrigenda and minor
revisions.

>Could it be that there can be multiple ways of expressing the
>same model, none of the schemas necessarily normative?

No, I think standards development has long had a role for technical
corrigenda, certainly such is true for ISO standardization without
changing the definition of the specification.

>Maybe the
>idea that the schemas in W3C XML Schema format are always the
>normative ones doesn't hold up in all circumstances and exceptions
>have to be made (either by the standards group or by the user
>base or community).
>
>If you were living in Bosnia and producing a finance app with UBL
>support would you want to have to include this without change or
>wouldn't you just regard it as one (albeit 'standard') variant and
>correct it in the app?

Except for the important distinction between maintenance and new features.

I'm not familiar with the steps of publishing a technical corrigendum
in the OASIS process, so I will leave it with the UBL TC to dictate
how we proceed on such issues.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
Male Cancer Awareness Aug'05  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/bc