ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Re: [ebxml-dev] P2P for e-business - applications?

Quoting Roger Bass <Roger@Traxian.com>:

> Stephen, David et al,
>
> I'm jumping into this thread a little late...

no - unfortunately it is still an ongoing thing...

> This technology discussion all misses the point. From a pragmatic SMB's
> perspective, all they care about in this context is interconnecting
> their business processes with one or more of their trading partners -
> and having that be easy and inexpensive enough to be worthwhile, in the
> context of the overall business relationship. (The paper you link is
> quite flawed in its most basic premises and approach, IMHO).

Pretty much. I'd second that.

> Don't get me wrong - I'd love to have a technology that could do at
> least some connections P2P, and would do it for free.

I think that there's a lot of talk and promises about this in the
marketplace. But it usually comes down to it needing some (quite)
expensive programming being done in an outsourced setting. It starts
off with the promise of cheap... but ends up being more costly than
the clients could have ever imagined because you end up having to
provide on the job training for the programmers even though you are
being charged full market rates.

It's interesting to pick up the pieces anyhow.

> In fact, I expect we will end up doing P2P in future - but only
> once we have a big enough group of SMBs connected to have a stable set
> of end-to-end process requirements. Then and only then will we (or
> anyone else trying to do this) be able to deliver a P2P product that
> actually works.
>
> There are no short cuts here.

I think that's what a lot of us are trying to do. Sounds like a
familiar soapbox anyway.

Regards

David