ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL Adoption Group?

A good point about UBL 2.0 and CEFACT but I think the
plan is that UBL TC does maintenance and that no work
on UBL 2.x at all will be done by CEFACT.

But I take it that there is a limit to what can be done in
a TC because of its charter an IPR, especially once it
has delivered its standard(s).

So even localisation SC's fall under the TC charter
restrictions

Plus CEN is mainly Europe, not covering US, S.Am.
Asia, Africa, etc

Ultimately it submits to CEFACT and therefore to move
to the global scope may only be relevant to post-UBL,
CEFACT work - providing for interop and conformance
globally for UBL would, I think, be out of scope even for
the CEN projects

I would hate to think of this falling between the cracks
- sorry, I would more than hate it, I would try all I can
to prevent it :-) after all these years - as of course
would the rest of the TC so I don't intend to tread on
any toes with this suggestion

Stephen Green

Senior IT Officer
Bristol City Council
Room G34, Romney House
Romney Avenue
Bristol  BS99 3HB
Tel: 0117 922 3794
Fax: 0117 922 4877
Email: stephen_green@bristol.gov.uk

>>> <roberto@javest.com> 24/05/07 17:16 >>>

> Don't there need to be 'guidelines' on how these large subsetting
> and profiling efforts like NES, CODICE, SBS and smaller ones like
> SystML2 (smaller in resoources, not scope) should provide for
> interoperating with eachother - for example over tax support?

That is one of the main reasons for a CEN involment for an "European
Common Subset" for e-Procurement.

> Codes, I agree, are for the vendors, ERPs and endusers to agree,
> maybe with some localisation effort help (though even here some
> measures to align such help might be of * major * value).
>
> But there is a lot more to UBL than codelists - and relying solely
> on a mixture of what the UBL could foresee and happy accidents
> (serendipity) between localisations and other subsets seems a
> bit overly risky for what is actually at stake.
>
> Is a customisation guide by the TC all it takes?

Mmmm, I think a partial answer is given by the reason why the code list
methodology is migrating to the code list TC.

I am sure that the input for such cross-industry and cross-border
localization will be handled by localizers at the same manner their work
is done for guides and software locale bundles.

The reason for an LSC into UBL is I think to promote adoptions and because
a no-profit effort cannot pay easely localizers.

Localizers will be paid by Vendors.

Genericode is under evaluation of UN/CEFACT too I remember.

If we want give a free localization for code list I think this should be
done inside something like CEFACT and its TBGs as they are the input.

That is because UBL should stop at 2.0 within OASIS, isn't it ?

Just some thinking... brain storming.

Thanks

Roberto