ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Getting started with UBL-2.0

Hi David,

welcome to UBL !

>Hi list. I am just beginning with UBL and getting up to speed with the
>schemas. I cannot seem to find a schema for items in the package I
>downloaded.

UBL document schemas are composed by reusable BIE (Business Information
Entities), this reason you will find the same BIE into different business
documents (e.g. Address is used almost everywhere)

There is also an "Item" BIE to represent a product/service.
This BIE is used inside the line items (e.g. into Purchase Orders)

Reusable BIEs definitions are collected as "common" components under

  cs-UBL-2.0\xsd\common

inside this folder you can find different type of BIEs, the "Item" is an
aggregate BIE as it is made of other reusable components.

This is the schema containing aggregate BIEs (ABIE):

UBL-CommonAggregateComponents-2.0.xsd

I suggest you to read the specification to better understand all BIE types
(Basic, Aggregate, Associations).

>I am interested in an implementation that can work with a products or
>services as items. Overall I am getting from reviewing the schemas that
>the language and schemas ought to work as messages being sent between a
>customer and a seller for the most part, not just documents. So is this
>ideally to be set up along the lines of a web service?

UBL can be used for both Web Services and ebXML as a payload.

Web Services are designed to expose/invoke a service for the transport of
any XML payload, however using UBL you achieve in the end a better
interoperability:

1) Document interoperability (as UBL is designed for international use and
it is an OASIS standard)
2) Data Model interoperablity (as it is made of reusable components BIE)

>I wish to set something up where at least the core documents are being
>stored in this format - which I am hoping to be more future proof and
>flexible to import and export or use in other systems.

Indeed

>I'd also like any advice on utilizing the schemas with detailed product
>or service schemas.

You can find also useful to download the 'free' editor "UBL Swinger" at:

http://www.javest.com

Please find attached a screenshot of the "Item" aggregate BIE made using
UBL Swinger.

>Many thanks

>Regard,
>David