ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Getting started with UBL-2.0

stephen.green@systml.co.uk wrote:
> My responses inline - not necessarily any more than my own opinion in most
> cases:
>
> Quoting David Pratt <fairwinds@eastlink.ca>:
>
>> Hi list. I am just beginning with UBL and getting up to speed with the
>> schemas. I cannot seem to find a schema for items in the package I
>> downloaded.
>
> Which package? Not all * derivative * packages have schemas - some merely
> rely on folk using the standard schemas. There are tools available for
> creating derivative schemas. Personally I just use an XML Editor to edit
> the standard UBL schemas. You should be wary of changing namespaces as
> UBL is increasingly geared toward a conformance requirement which asks
> the instances are valid against the standard schemas which are found at
>
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/xsd/ (with name documentation)
> and
> http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/xsdrt/
>
> You might be looking for the customisation documentation though - to which
> maybe someone closer to things can point you.

Hi Stephan. Many thanks for your reply. Did you mean specific tools for
creating derivative schemas in UBL or a more general tool for XML
Schemas like XMLSpy.

>> I am interested in an implementation that can work with a products or
>> services as items.
>
> Please clarify. Do you mean as items to be ordered and paid for?

Yes, at this point I just want to ensure that my items, products and
services models and interfaces are capable of generating the docs with
some means of storing and querying the generated documents through a
restful web service.

> I think the weakest link with the standards using the CEFACT codelists
> seems to be the use of the 'units of measure' codelist. There seem to
> be a lot of useless codes, and here and there a useful one. Services might
> need the codes like 'IE' for 'person'
>
>       <Row>
>          <Value ColumnRef="code">
>             <SimpleValue>IE</SimpleValue>
>          </Value>
>          <Value ColumnRef="name">
>             <SimpleValue>person</SimpleValue>
>          </Value>
>       </Row>
>
> and 'DAY' for 'day'
>
>       <Row>
>          <Value ColumnRef="code">
>             <SimpleValue>DAY</SimpleValue>
>          </Value>
>          <Value ColumnRef="name">
>             <SimpleValue>day</SimpleValue>
>          </Value>
>       </Row>
>
> I've no idea what relevance codes like those for light-years might have
> to trade though :-) Obviously trade isn't the sole, primary purpose of
> the list.

Yeah, I know, I was seeing some of this too :-) Well, you never know if
in the future you won't be buying a ticket to some far off place in the
galaxy to really get away from it all ;-)

> http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/os-UBL-2.0/cl/gc/cefact/UnitOfMeasureCode-2.0.gc
>

>> Overall I am getting from reviewing the schemas that
>> the language and schemas ought to work as messages being sent between a
>> customer and a seller for the most part, not just documents.
>
> You can make subsets of documents to use for specific message types or
> create your own message types from the common library (with your own
> namespaces for the latter but hopefully the UBL namespaces for the former).
>
> It is debatable when, if ever, a document ceases to be a message or if a
> message
> is at some point no longer a document. For example, a simple email-like
> 'message' can be created with UBL, with what would be a custom 'document'
>
> http://www.systml.co.uk/xml/systml2/maindoc/SystML-SimpleDocument-2.0.xsd
>

>> So is this
>> ideally to be set up along the lines of a web service?
>
> UBL is officially agnostic about that. UBL implementers are some using the
> WS-* web services stack (such as Denmark's famous implementation,
> http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/200705/msg00051.html) and
> and others ebXML (I could do with more info on ebXML use with UBL but
> I think Turkey's health systems may use these - I developed some ebXML
> artefacts for UBL though some for UBL's SBS and others for SystML)

Right. I think this is where I am foggy since I am just as concerned
about querying all documents across an organization with a web svc. As
far as UBL though, I am interested in communicating standard documents
to customers even in a B2B or even B2C relationship over email or web
svc without the need for a central registry concept in the interim. The
central registry seems like a good plan but can't see this happening any
time soon for private sector companies. It probably all needs to begin
with folks working with standard forms of documents (and embracing that).

>> I wish to set something up where at least the core documents are being
>> stored in this format - which I am hoping to be more future proof and
>> flexible to import and export or use in other systems.
>
> The official recommendation seems to be to use UBL 2.0 for now and later
> upgrade to the CEFACT documents when they are available as standards too.
> This should be as future-proof as one can presume to be, not really knowing
> what technologies are yet to be developed :-) One can hopefully develope
> transformations to and from other standards too of course, perhaps with
> UBL as the 'hub' standard.

Sure. I hope the entities for UBL though will be good enough for the
forseeable future in any case. Many thanks.

Regards,
David