ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Beginners Questions: how to add missing fields? Code lists? Travel Industry extensions?

At 2007-10-29 20:23 +0000, Joel Paula wrote:
>I have just started to learn and use UBL.

Welcome!

>We have a ERP and want to produce Invoices using UBL. We will use it for
>EDI.

Excellent.

>1. According to my country's (Portugal - EU) laws, an electronic invoice
>must provide all the information the paper based one would, in such a way
>that either the customer or the EDI provider can produce a visualization
>that reproduces it. There are several fields we show on the invoices, that
>we can't find on the UBL 2.0 Invoice spec:
>  a) Total Amount in words;
>  b) Reference (title of the customer process/project, specific request, the
>customer Reservation code, etc.). We can't use Notes for this, because we
>also have a notes field.
>  c) Specific instructions and/or warnings our customers (the supplier) may
>have on the bottom of the document - that can span several paragraphs.
>  d) A unique identification number that we use to identify any document,
>regardless of its type or series.
>
>  1.1 What do you think is our best strategy to add these fields?

Create a customization of UBL 2.0 for your own use, and submit your
requirements to the UBL Technical Committee so we can consider adding
them as optional constructs in UBL 2.1.

While the committee has not yet published guidelines on
customization, we made strides in our last face-to-face meeting last
month in Stockholm and the editors of that new document are now
tasked to work with the raw material and start drafting
one.  Meanwhile, I am in the process of taking the ideas and updating
my training material and my book with my perspective on this ... but
because of busy work demands my material is not yet brought up to date.

>  1.2 We thought about using the UBLExtension structure, but it seems to
>require that we register somewhere and get an ExtensionAgencyID. Is this
>true?

That is not true.  That is merely optional meta data one can
use.  You are welcome to use UBLExtension and your own namespace to
create whatever you need.

>  1.3 If using UBLExtension is the way to go, where do we get a code list for
>the ExtensionReason element?

Again, it is up to you and it is optional.  If you wish to publish a
code list to use, or use one that is already published, then it would
behoove you to include in the instance-level meta data the list-level
meta data of the list you end up using.

>2. Maybe someone else has needed the same fields, is there a central place
>where we could find available and registered extensions that we could peek
>from?

No-one in the UBL community has yet set up a registry of
commonly-used extensions from which one might pick something that
already is in use.

>3. Do you know of some existing extensions/customizations for the travel
>industry?

I have not heard of any.  Again, no-one in the community has taken
the time to collect and publish a suite of known extensions.

>Thanks very much for your time.

Thank you for your interest in UBL!  Good luck with your work, and do
not hesitate to keep asking questions to the list.

I hope this has helped.

--
Comprehensive in-depth XSLT2/XSL-FO1.1 classes: Austin TX,Jan-2008
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/