ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] ExtensibleContent

On Wednesday 31 October 2007 18:58:52 G. Ken Holman wrote:
> At 2007-10-31 18:18 +0100, Kristian Berge Nessa wrote:
> >Upon reviewing the danish OIOXML standard, we found some extensions to UBL
> >which could have been useful for this application, for example:
> >  * ExtensibleContent
> It is already in UBL 2.0 under the name <UBLExtensions>, which is the
> first child of the document element of every UBL 2.0 document
> type.  This, in turn, has multiple <UBLExtension> elements, each for
> a particular domain of use (thus, one instance can support multiple
> extensions if it is going to be used in multiple domains).
>
> There are a number of optional meta data attributes for a
> <UBLExtension> element, but all that is required is the element
> <ExtensionContent> under which you place a single element in a
> non-UBL namespace of your choosing.

It seems like the UBLExtensions structure fit our needs perfectly, even more
so than the original ExtensibleContent, as we will most probably need to:
(1) receive, store and pass on any <UBLExtension> elements provided by the
client, and
(2) add our own <UBLExtension> content as the document progresses through
various processes.

>   (1) - an extension item of a global nature relative to the entire
> document and standardized information stands alone under the extension
> point
>
>   (2a) - the item stands alone under the extension point and references
>          the line entry through some mechanism of document referencing
>          - possibly ID/IDREF
>          - possibly contextual ancestry (suitable for XPath processing)
>        - pro: no duplication of information
>        - con: referencing/de-referencing needs extra work

For our use, a combination of (1) and (2a) sounds just right.

> I hope this is considered helpful.  I hope that others will chime in
> with their own ideas on this issue.

Helpful indeed!
Thank you very much for a swift and Extensive (pun intended...) reply.

--
Regards,
Kristian Berge Nessa

Cavatina Software AS - Systems development & Free Software consulting
Einervn. 2A, N-4056 Tananger, Norway
Tel.: +47 414 49 991