ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] How big can the invoice number field be?

And it seems that most EDI and equivalent XML standards
(perhaps cXML is an exception of course) inherited a lot
from EDIFACT in one way or another so probably the best
advice is Fulton's - to default to the EDIFACT datatype
length restrictions.

There is, as it happens, just one restriction beyond the
schema constraints in UBL - no zero length strings allowed
- but as it happens I'm asking for that to be reconsidered as
it causes problems with things like XForms. So this seems
to back up Ken's view that one man's meat is another man's
poison and UBL would want to avoid setting such a standard
in stone.

I do agree with you though that there needs to be some
arbitration. I think it only needs to cover key fields like
identifiers and maybe names and perhaps not descriptions.
I hope UBL will indeed take this on and there will be the
resources to carry it through - recommending defaults say.

So for which datatypes to provide default restrictions? I guess
this has to be decided within the IPR-controlled environment
of the OASIS TC process but here are some thoughts as a kind
of survey. Would you agree with these to start with?

identifiers? yes - UUIDs maybe 256, IDs maybe 35
names? yes - maybe whatever is widespread in EDIFACT
amounts? maybe no - to encourage regional defaults or case-by-case
quantity? no (too much variation)
text? no (use names if need to restrict)
dates? (earliest date, etc) no
binary? (images, etc) no - encourage case-by-case setting of maximum size

Any others? Does that just mean the identifiers and names need restrictions?
In that case I would say it's easy:

Name - default 256
UUID - default 256
ID - default 35

How's that? Just add CAM or Schematron :-) Then add local restrictions on
amounts, binary data and certain codes. (Again using CAM or Schematron, say).

It's a start anyway.