ubl-dev message

Subject: Contracts - Simplifying the next version of UBL

In looking at the Catalogue XSD - when you generate a complete XML instance per the XSD schema - you get a 2.1MB transaction!!!

Clearly - noone is sending 2.1MB to describe one catalogue item (least I hope not!).

So - when I look at the content - most all of it relates to static CONTRACT related information - that really could be placed into a separate and new UBL transaction - and then simply referenced by an ID.

This would introduce a new process flow into the information equation - but seems entirely logical.  So if I need to know the contract conditions relating to an item - I can request that.

The design decision to burden the catalogue exchange with Contract related content (which makes up 90%) - seems counter intuitive - when that could be sent separately on request once - instead of everytime the catalogue entry is updated.

Not only that - but I strongly suspect the Contract information is repetitive - so one contract could cover most all the items in the catalogue - again - dramatically reducing information exchange volume.

The contract information can then also be aligned to local tax regulations more closely - such as EU VAT - and serve better fit to purpose roles.

Thanks, DW