ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Catalogue definition of types (TextType et al)

At 2008-05-02 05:51 -0700, David RR Webber \(XML\) wrote:
>I'm noticing that in the Catalogue XSD it defines the TextType et al
>- but these are already defined in the imports.

I don't see it in Catalogue, but I do see it in the common library.

>Is this a mistake?  Should they only be in the imports?

Nope ... all BBIEs are based on UBL data types, and the UBL data
types are based on either the UN/CEFACT unqualified data types, or
UBL qualified data types that themselves are based on the UN/CEFACT
unqualified data types.

>The reason is the definition in the Catalogue is circular - and
>lacks the extended definition in the imports.

I cannot find the circularity you reference.

>==========================
>  <xsd:complexType name="TextType">
>                   <xsd:simpleContent>
>                      <xsd:extension base="udt:TextType"/>
>                   </xsd:simpleContent>
>                </xsd:complexType>

That is found in UBL-CommonBasicComponents-2.0.xsd and is defining

{urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonBasicComponents-2}TextType

as an extension of:

{urn:un:unece:uncefact:data:specification:UnqualifiedDataTypesSchemaModule:2}TextType

which isn't circular at all.

>as opposed to:
>
><xsd:complexType name="TextType">
>                         <xsd:annotation>
>                            <xsd:documentation xml:lang="en">
>                               <ccts:UniqueID>UDT0000019</ccts:UniqueID>
>                               <ccts:CategoryCode>UDT</ccts:CategoryCode>

That is found in UnqualifiedDataTypeSchemaModule-2.0.xsd and is defining

{urn:un:unece:uncefact:data:specification:UnqualifiedDataTypesSchemaModule:2}TextType

as a base data type.

The local parts of the data type names coincidentally happen to be
the same ... but they are different types based on their expanded
qualified names.  Conforming XML processing tools need to be able to
distinguish namespace-qualified names, or they aren't properly XML-aware.

Note that UBL defines both
{urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonBasicComponents-2}Location
and
{urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonAggregateComponents-2}Location
as two elements in the common library.  Tools that properly implement
XML by using namespace-qualified names will have no problems with
this because the two elements are, in fact, different elements and
are named very distinctly through their namespaces.

This is the power of namespaces to disambiguate names that
non-XML-compliant tools have problems with.  I'm a big fan of
namespaces and they help me write very robust XML applications.

I don't see a circularity ... can you clarify your concerns?  I'm
anxious to help.

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
Male Cancer Awareness Nov'07  http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/bc