ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBLish v2.0: Problems found with QDT & CAC

Your comment or feedback on the following would be most appreciated in
the following observation.

* (What I think is reasonable) Assumption: CommonAggregateComponent
(CAC) schema is a library of ABIEs so that main document schemas,
whether or not UBL-developed, could reuse these.

--> Deduction: So we would  say that CAC schema types are
self-contained  ABIEs built from CommonLibrary spreadsheet, so that CAC
schema is only included by other (higher-level) schemas and itself does
not include other types, whether explicitly through <xsd:include> or
implicitly through additional declaration of types outside of what are
found in CommonLibrary spreadsheet.

--> Further Deduction: A litmus test is that if a main document
(UBL-developed or otherwise) needs certain common library ABIE, say
MyParty, it would include CAC schema through <xsd:include> and then
reference the types and elements.  If the needed type is not found in
CAC, as is the case with MyParty example, then the main document
designer might choose to:

    * remodel his data model requirements so as to be able to use
      existing  types/elements in CAC (eg Party),
    * refrain from using types/elements not found in CAC by limiting the
      extents of his modeling (ie don't use MyParty somehow),
    * declare additional elements and types peculiar to  that main
      document so as to complete it (eg declare complexType inside of
      main document to supplement needed MyPartyType under main
      document's namespace),
    * other methods.

Now we logically would not expect the "other methods" to imply changing
CAC so that CAC includes MyPartyType under UBL namespace.  Fair to say
this?  For otherwise, the implication is that additional main documents
included into UBL package would imply changing CAC to include additional
main-document-peculiar types & elements.  It makes CAC & CBC schemas
very vulnerable to changes and less stable for existing users if that
happens (or was the intent).  I highly doubt so.

Now, working on UBLish v2.0 and from my exploration with the CAC, CBC
and ApplicationResponse (a main document), here are the observations:

   1. No SenderParty is found in CommonLibrary spreadsheet
   2. (So) CAC schema generated by UBLish v2.0 (naturally) gives no
      definition of type cac:SenderPartyType nor element cac:SenderParty
   3. (But) UBL v2.0's CAC schema contains a cac:SenderParty element
      with (cac:)PartyType.
   4. SenderParty is referenced as an ASBIE in ApplicationResponse
      spreadsheet.
   5. ApplicationResponse's schema references <cac:SenderParty>, but
      does not define, leaving definition to CAC.  This possibly
      explains the presence of <xsd:element name="SenderParty"
      type="PartyType"> in UBL v2.0's CAC schema.

However, this  declaration cannot be  traced to any part of
CommonLibrary spreadsheet, which is the source modeling document for
CAC.  The likely way to understand such a structural arrangement is that:

    Since  SenderParty is used in ApplicationResponse (a main document
    and likely other main documents), we should define it in CAC  so as
    to reuse the element.

But in the initial exposition, if we change "MyParty"  to "SenderParty"
to interpret the above observations, it would seem strange to find the
presence of SenderParty in CAC schema and yet undefined in CommonLibrary
spreadsheet.  Further, the implication of  modifying CAC schema just
because other main document schema/s is/are using certain element seems
to fall short of an expected clean layout where CAC/CBC form the basic
foundation of ABIEs unshaken and unstirred by usages and definitions of
other main documents.

A check with UBL v2.0 Naming & Design Rules (NDR) shows:

    [ELD11] When a ccts:ASBIE is qualified, a new element MUST be
    declared and bound to the xsd:complexType of its associated ccts:ABIE.

What it didn't say is in which namespace that new element MUST be
declared.  The natural interpretation would be to assume the namespace
of the defining main document in which the ccts:ASBIE was declared.
Going back to the SenderParty element used in ApplicationResponse main
document shown above, this would have implied the need to  define
doc:SenderParty element within ApplicationResponse, where doc has the
namespace value of ApplicationResponse instead of CAC's namespace.

Another way to "resolve" the SenderParty issue is just to define
SenderParty in Common Library spreadsheet as another ABIE with 1 ASBIE
element that references PartyType.  This way, it would be consistent
with the independence of Common Library model (independent of any
existing or newer main documents).

So, my question is whether the above interpretation is proper?
If so, how do we explain the presence of cac:SenderParty element
declaration in the present UBL v2.0 CAC schema (and not defined in
CommonLibrary spreadsheet)?
If the above interpretation isn't correct, could you help in explaining
what is happening?

Thanks much.

Chin Chee-Kai