ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] looking for practical examples

At 2009-02-10 17:04 +0000, Stephen Green wrote:
>I'm not completely convinced though that UBL is the ideal tool for the
>job in hand with this stock tracking system.

Good point, Steve, and one I'd lost track of in thinking about the markup.

Alex, you originally asked for a Catalogue document, but I had to
concoct bogus information to complete the requirements such as
provider and receiver.

>On the other hand I do have sympathy for Ken's proposal that basing the
>business object on XML conforming to the UBL schema will add some value.

Perhaps you need something like:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<Inventory xmlns:cbc=
"urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonBasicComponents-2"
            xmlns:cac=
"urn:oasis:names:specification:ubl:schema:xsd:CommonAggregateComponents-2"
            xmlns="urn:x-Whillas:Inventory">
   <cbc:IssueDate>2009-02-10</cbc:IssueDate>
   <cac:InventoryItem>
     <cbc:ID>A</cbc:ID>
     <cac:Item>
       <cbc:Description>Gizmo</cbc:Description>
       <cac:StandardItemIdentification>
         <cbc:ID schemeURI="urn:x-SKU">ABC987</cbc:ID>
       </cac:StandardItemIdentification>
       <cac:AdditionalItemProperty>
         <cbc:Name>Colour</cbc:Name>
         <cbc:Value>Red</cbc:Value>
       </cac:AdditionalItemProperty>
       <cac:ItemInstance>
         <cbc:SerialID>123</cbc:SerialID>
       </cac:ItemInstance>
       <cac:ItemInstance>
         <cbc:SerialID>124</cbc:SerialID>
       </cac:ItemInstance>
       <cac:ItemInstance>
         <cbc:SerialID>125</cbc:SerialID>
       </cac:ItemInstance>
     </cac:Item>
   </cac:InventoryItem>
</Inventory>

Then, having used the same business objects, it would be easy to
create a catalogue when a catalogue is needed.

>I just think that that value might not be so obvious or so great
>when no actual
>document output or input is immediately envisiaged (at this stage).

But I think there are to be documents, Steve:

At 2009-02-09 18:09 +0100, Alexander Whillas wrote:
>I joined this list as I'm thinking of using UBL 2.0 to do
>importing/exporting interface to the popular ecommerce software
>Ubercart (www.ubercart.org) and was hoping to find some examples of
>how to use UBL for a catalog import (to begin with).

Alex, what were you going to do with these documents exported from
Ubercart?  What other tools would be using this information being
exported?  Are other tools creating XML to be imported into Ubercart?

So I think the discussion is apropos, perhaps just, as you say Steve,
not with a catalogue but with a custom document.

--
Upcoming hands-on XSLT, UBL & code list hands-on training classes:
Brussels, BE 2009-03;  Prague, CZ 2009-03, http://www.xmlprague.cz