ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] looking for practical examples

At 2009-02-16 09:19 -0500, Fulton Wilcox wrote:
>Have the 1,500 data elements been de-duped?

Yes, all items have unique Dictionary Entry Names (DEN).  Some
element names are the same in different contexts, but the semantics
are all unique and there are no duplicate semantic elements.

>In not, perhaps a de-duping
>exercise could be done. Is there a handy list?

The Crane-UBL2Report-All-EN.html report found in:

    http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/index.htm#ubl2modelreport-EN

... has all of the tables in a single HTML file, all
hyperlinked.  This reports a total of 1972 BIEs, each with a unique DEN.

>Apart from dupes, a 1,500 term vocabulary does not seem excessive for the
>eBusiness B2B cycle.

So I've learned listening to the debates in the UBL Procurement Subcommittee.

>The ideal design for a transaction-oriented environment such as UBL is one
>"document" per action verb (e.g., to buy, to ship, to receive, to invoice,
>to pay, etc.). Presumably UBL configuration tools can help users check off
>the fields available and relevant to the transaction.

Absolutely ... here is a screen shot of our UBL subset customization
tool .. figure 14:

   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/sales/Crane-UBLProfile#doctype

Each of the columns at the left are profiles, those with grey cells
cannot be changed, the white cells are defined and ready to export as
UBL schemas, the yellow cells are undefined profiles (more profiles
can be added).  When the user clicks on the down arrow, only the
allowed new cardinality values are made available to choose
from.  You can see the cardinality for ID cannot be changed, but the
cardinality for Note has one of six values:  blank, 0, 0..1, 0..n, 1,
1 and 1..n.  The blank value gives flexibility if the user specifies
a "strict customization" (blank cardinality cells are not included)
or a "permitted customization" (blank cardinality cells are
included).  The value of 0 indicates the item is not in either a
strict or permitted customization.  If the original cardinality is,
say, 0..1, then the only options to the user are blank, 0, 0..1 and
1.  Minimums can be increased and maximums can be decreased.

The definition of profile properties is shown in figure 12:

   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/sales/Crane-UBLProfile#profilesfig

The specification of which document types are in each profile is
shown in figure 13:

   http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/sales/Crane-UBLProfile#doctypes

I hope this helps.

--
Upcoming hands-on  XQuery, XSLT, UBL & code list training classes:
Brussels, BE 2009-03;  Prague, CZ 2009-03, http://www.xmlprague.cz