ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] looking for practical examples

> With HTML they didn't try to predict every
> semantic, every possible document that someone would want to create
> with it. That would be silly, also it would mean that every time there
> was a new type of document the spec would have to be revised.

Well the answer to that is obvious. Why not just use an HTML table?
You could merely specify that for a particular document type the cells
each contain this or that field. Basically this is just the same as using
CSV: Which is what some people do with their invoice transfer from one
RDB to another.

No seriously, I personally agree that UBL takes on trying to do too much
and could generalise a lot of what it does. What we might have been better
with was a mixture of the general table and a set of basic documents. But
this can still be done. Create minimal subsets of each document you need,
then add to the extension point of each something like an HTML table with
column titles designating which column is for which data. Rows could
correspond to lines in the document. All it takes is some subsetting/profiling
work put out in the form of a 'conformance profile' spec for your implementation
of UBL. No new language creation needed. Cool. Some are doing just that -
or something similar, eg putting minimal info in UBL document and adding the
rest as a pdf file. I prefer the HTML table myself but there could be a table
in the pdf which still might be scrapable to get at the data (if the
structure were
fixed, which it probably wouldn't be). Either way it is still strictly UBL and
if doen in a ceratin way could claim, I think, UBL conformance.

Best regards

Steve