ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: FW: FW: [ubl-dev] looking for practical examples

The two enemies of standards adoption are particularity and legacy,
including legacy standards.

Particularity tends to dominate, because in the short term it is quicker and
easier to accommodate and exploit particularity than to standardize it. Two
huge enemies of eBusiness standards are fax and b2b reuse of consumer
"self-service" approaches (e.g., customers forcing vendors to rekey invoice
data into "portals").

Vanilla XML has a role to play in making the "particular" more palatable and
useful by conveying in tags the particularity embedded in the payload data.
It of course also has a role in industry standards, so it wins both ways.

"Industry standards" sit between "particularity" and "standards." Industry
groups such as RosettaNet, PIDX and CIDX (petroleum and chemical) were
somewhat self-limiting and confusing - e.g., a chemical company often will
also be in both the petroleum and electronics business, but their legacy
lives on.

UBL is general, but is competing not only with particularity and industry
standards, but with its own legacy (xCBL - from CommerceOne) as well as with
its legacy competitor (cXML - from Ariba) and of course with classic EDI.
Once trading partners have put an eBusiness standard trading relationship
into production, it is pretty tough to get that successful relationship
migrated to the next generation.

Today, xCBL continues to be propagated or at least supported by the hubs
like Quadrem (aligned with the mining industry) and Hubspan (somewhat
oriented toward electronics), but with no apparent move to UBL.

The obvious synergies between open systems and open source software are, in
my estimation, not exploited very effectively because many open source
vertical software efforts are SME in nature (small and medium company). The
various standards groups (not only eBusiness, but in fields such as
workflow) represent a bonanza of intellectual property useful in building a
fresh start ERP or other system, but that IP addresses problems or offers
competitive advantages that open source vertical software designers may not
see as problems or opportunities.

All of the standards organizations have significant channel problems,
because there is no one "selling" standards in the same sense that, for
example, SAP and Oracle and IBM sell products. Instead various IT products
and solutions providers pull in either particularity or sometimes a
particular subset of "standard," but rarely the whole standard.

					Fulton Wilcox
					Colts Neck Solutions LLC