ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL for storing accounting data

Does XBRL-GL still live? It seemed abandoned a few years ago
when I was trying to use it with UBL. In short though

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200507/threads.html#00028

I was trying, back then, to use it to attach ledger info to the
respective invoice or order but I was using UBL 1.0 so we did
not have the improvement of having an extension point where
we could put the XBRL-GL xml.

This was actually my own reason for asking for an extension point to
be added to UBL 2.0 documents

http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/200507/msg00022.html

This was also a motivator (one of several) for seeking liaison between
UBL TC and XBRL.

At the time though XBRL-GL was not looking all that strong but I
find it does still have web presence though no updates, it seems
since 2005. That was when I was looking at it and it had some
issues of over-complexity of the schemas and some bugs in the
inherited schemas as far as I could tell which might not have been
fixed. In short does it have enough adoption to ensure it works
properly?
http://www.xbrl.org/int/gl/2005-07-12/gl-2005-07-12.htm

Anyway, the XBRL-GL doesn't provide for the order, invoice, etc.
It provides the journal, ledger data format for transfers between
ledgers or journal transfers within the same ledger over distributed
sites or finance systems. If an organsiation has multiple software
ledger systems in use then XBRL-GL can be used to transfer ledger
details between them. It expects that any instrument documents like
invoices and orders are either attached (embedded) to the ledger
(it provides an extension point for this) or that the ledger is attached
some other way to the document. Either way it still needs a way to
represent the business document associated with the transaction
of the ledger which both systems can understand (or auditors are
happy with, even if the systems don't have to understand the docs).
This could be UBL of course.

So the idea of creating a ledger transfer profile of UBL seems more
than sound to me it seems excellent!

What does remain a key question is whether XBRL-GL can provide
the associated ledger info or whether to extend UBL for that purpose.
That's a big question :-)

Best regards

Steve

--