ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Representation of a measurement as a fraction

Thanks for your post, Eric.

At 2010-01-20 16:25 +0530, ericdes wrote:
>How would you represent a measurement such as 1"1/4? I don't see
>anything other than to convert the value into a decimal... Am I
>missing something?

Indeed the base CCTS data type for a measurement is a decimal value
and not a string.  In a business document an unambiguous
representation is crucial to conveying the information accurately.

Thus, the proper *value* representation would be, for example:

    <cbc:Measure unitCode="INH">1.25</cbc:Measure>

Surely the representation as:

    1 1/4"

or

    1" 1/4

... or any other representation is a presentation issue and not a value issue.

Is your concern about data entry or about data presentation?  I think
these two areas are the only way to address your issue.  For
interchange, I'm confident the value must be decimal.

I hope this is helpful.

--
UBL and Code List training:      Copenhagen, Denmark 2010-02-08/10
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19