ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Representation of a measurement as a fraction

I gather from what Eric is saying that the CCT for
measure will in many cases result in rounding errors.
Foot and inch length measurements are usually not
only presented in whole units and fraction units but
actually the measurements are made and used this
way so conversion is to be avoided. e.g. 1'  1 1/3"
would result in rounding errors and ordering a piece
of wood, say, using decimals could be a serious
problem. I think Eric has an important issue here.

However, I wonder whether society has already made
steps to avert this, e.g. a ruler typically does not have
thirds or sevenths of an inch but only fractions which
are multiples of two and so the decimal conversion is
helped.

http://wiki.answers.com/Q/Were_is_one-third_of_an_inch_on_a_ruler

Best regards

Steve