ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Is Catalogue provisioning a kind of contract forming?

At 2010-02-04 11:37 +0100, Jan Algermissen wrote:
>I saw yesterday that a contract needs to be acknowledged by the
>receiver. Is that an essential part of the sourcing process?

Who's sourcing process?

>Could this acknowledgement be 'skipped'?
>
>I am asking because I am using UBL for a little 'experiment'[1][2]
>and would like to avoid bending the intended UBL semantics too much.

The UBL specification has no intended process semantics.  Note that
the swim-lane diagrams in the specification are intended only to
document the thoughts in the minds of the committee members deciding
of the utility of the documents being standardized.  The processes
implied by these swim-lane diagrams are in no way normative.

>In this particular case, I plan to make a catalogue available as a
>Web resource and while the catalogue creation can be requested by
>the client (the receiver) it would be kind of odd to send an ack
>message to the server (the provider) to indicate agreement to the catalogue.

You can design your own process (and UBL users are expected to design
their own processes) in any way useful and to engage the standardized
documents in any protocol desired.

>OTH, if that agreement is vital I would still like to include it in
>my experiment.

It is only vital if you wish it to be.

Or have I misunderstood your question?

--
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training after http://XMLPrague.cz 2010-03-15/19
XSLT/XQuery/XPath training:   San Carlos, California 2010-04-26/30