ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Question about (in progress) UBL 2.1

(speaking only for myself and not as an official TC member; Steve,
such a question should be sent to the comment list for an official answer)

At 2010-07-29 09:09 +0100, Stephen Green wrote:
>Nice to see that UBL 2.1 is coming along well.

Thanks!

>Just a question regarding how it has been kept compatible with UBL 2.0:
>
>Presumably the compatibility has been maintained at model level via
>some rules of some sort

Indeed.  But I don't think these were ever articulated.

>but are these rules the fully published in the latest customisation guide

No, because that is not a guideline for the creation of 2.x+1 (which
is a TC responsibility), it is a guideline for people to create
customizations (subsets and user extensions) of 2.x (for their own
use).  Different task and different audience.

>and if so, is that the one on the UBL TC home page,
>i.e. http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/guidelines/UBL2-Customization1.0cs01.pdf ?
>If not, are rules for progressing from a UBL version 2.x to a version 2.x+1
>going to be published?

I can't recall that being an action item, and I'm not sure that is
important to the UBL user outside of the TC.  Though, of course, all
TC documents are made publicly available, so if we *had* such a
document you would get to see it.

Note that in light of the importance of *measuring* that version
2.x+1 is backward compatible with 2.x, there are checks that can be
done after the fact, rather than rules that are followed during the
process.  Indeed, these checks identified a number of
backwards-compatibility issues through the process, each of which
were addressed in turn until we finally have a 2.1 that appears by
all programmatic checks I could conceive to be fully backward
compatible with 2.0.

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201005/msg00013.html
   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201006/msg00033.html
   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201007/msg00017.html
   (and others)

... culminating in my report to the TC yesterday:

   http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201007/msg00043.html

... where you can see there are zero detected errors in all of the
areas related to backwards compatibility.

Of course when the 2.1 public review draft schemas are out in the
wild we may discover new issues of backwards compatibility that can
be added to the programmatic checks.

But, hand on heart, I'm quite confident *every* schema-valid UBL 2.0
instance will be considered schema-valid with the draft UBL 2.1
schemas.  I'm hoping to be proved right or wrong so that we know any
outstanding issues are addressed.

Thanks for the question!

--
XSLT/XQuery training:   after http://XMLPrague.cz 2011-03-28/04-01