ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Issues with currency codes that does not appear in the UBL 2.0 schema

At 2011-02-09 13:52 +0100, Mikkel Hippe Brun wrote:
>We have found some currency codes that does not appear in the UBL
>2.0 schema: [AZN, GGP, GHS, IMP, JEP, MGA, RON, RSD, SDG, SRD, TRY]
>
>AZN     944     2       Azerbaijani manat       Azerbaijan
>GGP Guernsey pound (non-ISO)
>GHS     936     2       Ghanaian cedi   Ghana
>IMP     Isle of Man pound (non-ISO)
>JEP Jersey pound (non-ISO)
>MGA     969     0.69897...[2]   Malagasy ariary         Madagascar
>RON     946     2       Romanian new leu        Romania
>RSD     941     2       Serbian dinar   Serbia
>SDG     938     2       Sudanese pound  Sudan
>SRD     968     2       Surinamese dollar       Suriname
>TRY     949     2       Turkish lira    Turkey, Northern Cyprus
>
>Any recommendations on how to handle these?

Yes, use the PRD1-UBL-2.1 CVA and genericode files:

XML:  http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/cva/UBL-DefaultDTQ-2.1.cva
HTML: http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/cva/UBL-DefaultDTQ-2.1.html

The UBL 2.1 currency code genericode file is here:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/cl/gc/default/CurrencyCode-2.1.gc

To look specifically at the rendering of that genericode file, look
inside the HTML cited above and you see:

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd1-UBL-2.1/cva/UBL-DefaultDTQ-2.1.html#d11e1

As for GGP, IMP and JEP, which are not in that list, you need to use
a private currency code list and express the union of the UBL code
list and your private list.

Actually, I like the idea of the UBL committee creating a
supplementary code list genericode file that includes those codes,
and we could build that into the UBL 2.1 release.  If you need these
codes, then likely others would need those codes.

In order to create that list, I would need some official citation of
an enumeration of supplementary currency values that would include
GGP, IMP and JEP ... does such an "official" enumeration exist anywhere?

In UBL 2.1 PRD 1 and PRD 2, all currency values are validated with a
union of the UBL 2.0 currency codes and the UBL 2.1 currency codes
(this allows you to handle both the old currency code for the Turkish
Lira and the new currency code for the Turkish Lira at the same time).

I might be able to squeeze the new supplementary code list into PRD 2
but I could reliably put them into PRD 3.

I suggest you submit a formal comment to the UBL committee citing an
enumeration of supplementary currency code values (preferably
existing but you could create such an enumeration yourself) asking
the committee to consider building in support for these in a release
as soon as possible.  I'll pick it up from there and explain the
situation to the TC.

But until that becomes "official", you merely express the codes
yourselves in a genericode file and you modify the CVA file to
express the union of three lists:  UBL 2.0, UBL 2.1 and your private
supplementary list.  With that CVA file you create the replacement
XSLT validation using this free tool:

     http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/#cva2sch

And the stylesheets for rendering the CVA and genericode files you
create are found here:

     http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/resources/ubl/#codess

I hope this helps.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/