ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL-Order-2.0-Example correct?

Hi Tim

Sorry I missed this question until now.

The example has some logic which could easily get missed. In the order
parties the originator party happens to have a tax exemption reason code.
This code says 'LocalAuthority'. These codes are agreed between the
parties using UBL, as is the 'calculation model' (the precise way the
parties will calculate the totals, etc). The reason these are agreed between
parties and not set in stone by the UBL spec is to allow for local variations
and in this example use case that would be something specified by the
tax authorities concerned. In the example the tax authorities allow the local
authority party to be exempt from paying the VAT, so quite rightly the
order, although it uotes the expected VAT, does not include it in the total
but does include this tax exemption reason (hopefully interpreted as a code,
as agreed between parties, so that it can be included in their calculation
model. I think the example might be a little too realistic in this respect (my
fault) and I'm surprised you are the first to pick up on this :-) It comes from
my own experience and implementations of XML etrading for Bristol City
Council where I had to prototype UBL usage (though never implementing
it live) and I took the liberty of using an amended set of data in the example.
In fact I even put my wife's and step-daughter's name in as some of the
contacts :-) One of the perks of doing some of the donkey work.

Best regards

----
Stephen D Green