ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Issue: two-letter or three-letter language codes?

Actually the ISO-3 is a three-letter abbreviation for countries (used for
easely identify the country name), but ISO-2 is the *real* Code.

I think we should stay with ISO-2, but we could provide a complete
genericode code list with all ISO code and number columns for each
country.

The most important thing is we provide the most up-to-date version of it.

Hope this helps,

Roberto

> Before making the decision, you should check the ISO licensing policies as
> well.
>
> If I remember correctly, there was difference in licensing policy between
> the two and three letter country codes: in certain conditions usage of
> three letter codes was subject to ISO royalty fees, especially when
> published as a list in commercial applications.
>
> I was involved with the issue few years ago when working on IPTC
> (http://www.iptc.org) news exchange standards (NewsML-G2, EventsML-G2).
> Both standards used ISO country codes, but IPTC was not able to publish
> them as the list and used only individual codes in the document.
>
> I'm not sure what is the situation with the language codes, but rather
> check sooner than later :)
>
> Best regards,
>
> Darko Gulija
>
> Izvršni direktor za e-Poslovanje i ESB
> Executive Director for e-Business
>
> InfoDom d.o.o.
> A. Žaje 61/1
> 10000 Zagreb
> tel:        +385 (0)1 3090 507
> fax:        +385 (0)1 3040 593
>
> e-mail:   darko.gulija@infodom.hr
> web:      http://www.infodom.hr

* JAVEST by Roberto Cisternino
*
* Document Engineering Services Ltd. - Alliance Member
* UBL Italian Localization SubCommittee (ITLSC), co-Chair
* UBL Online Community editorial board member (ubl.xml.org)
* Italian UBL Advisor

  Roberto Cisternino

  mobile: +39 328 2148123
  skype:  roberto.cisternino.ubl-itlsc