ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl] Issue: two-letter or three-letter language codes?

Hello,
I apologies as I provided an answer about countries and not languages.

The concept described by Andrea is correct but it is an extended concept
associated to a "Locale" which is a precise indication about a language,
its variant and the country where it is used.

The plain language code list is provided by ISO639-2 and the 3-letters
language is more precise and complete then the 2-letters version.

http://www.loc.gov/standards/iso639-2/php/English_list.php

Hope this helps

Roberto

> The most commonly used syntax for language codes is specified in RFC5646,
> it is an Internet Best Current Practice.
> A language tag is expressed by a sequence of subtags separated by a dash
> "-".
> The first subtag is the primary subtag and is mandatory. It is the
> shortest ISO 639 code (i.e. it is a 2 or 3 characters code where the 3
> characters code is used only if the language does not exist in the 2
> characters code list).
> It is recommended use lowercase for languages to distinguish between from
> countries (e.g. IT=Italy; it=Italian).
>
> Additional tags are used to specify the script and the region, for
> example:
> - "en-US" represents English ('en') as used in the United States ('US').
> - "sr-Latn-RS" represents Serbian ('sr') written using Latin script
> ('Latn') as used in Serbia ('RS').
>
> Coming back to UBL, a 2 char code is probably ok in most cases (if you do
> not have the need to refer to a language not included in the list of 2
> char length codes, this is not common).
> Using upper case is not recommended but not forbidden by ISO639-1.
>
> Andrea
>

> Il giorno 10/mar/2011, alle ore 16.40, Jon Bosak ha scritto:
>
>> Hello UBL TC and developers,
>>
>> A question has arisen with regard to language codes.  It appears that
>> UN/CEFACT uses the ISO three-letter lowercase language codes, whereas
>> UBL currently includes a list of ISO two-letter uppercase language codes
>> (both are ISO standards as far as we know).  We're not going to be
>> inclined to change something in 2.1 that already shipped in 2.0, so the
>> question is: does anyone know of a good reason why UBL should switch to
>> the three-letter lowercase form?
>>
>> We need to have this issue resolved by next week, so if anyone has an
>> opinion, please let us know ASAP.
>>
>> Jon

* JAVEST by Roberto Cisternino
*
* Document Engineering Services Ltd. - Alliance Member
* UBL Italian Localization SubCommittee (ITLSC), co-Chair
* UBL Online Community editorial board member (ubl.xml.org)
* Italian UBL Advisor

  Roberto Cisternino

  mobile: +39 328 2148123
  skype:  roberto.cisternino.ubl-itlsc