ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] XPath expressions in UBL / Signatures

Yes, what you have is certainly unambiguous.

It could also be seen as redundant.  The namespace declarations in
scope also happen to declare the prefixes you've declared in the
XQuery prologue.

However, I think you have convinced me that in fact explicit
prefix/namespace associations are mandatory as information (not as
syntax), and I likely wouldn't have come to this conclusion without
seeing your example.

The way to see this as not redundant is our premise all along in UBL
(and in XML) that instance prefixes are arbitrary.  As soon as I put
a requirement on in-scope namespace declarations, I've just broken
that allowance.

If I process a UBL document, and in that process I munge the
namespace prefixes into other prefixes that are still valid prefixes,
all of a sudden the XPath field value is rendered irresolvable
because the in-scope namespace declarations are no longer in
alignment with the data content.

But not in your example.  Your example is very helpful.

However, for expression languages that do not include explicit
namespace declarations (e.g. XPath and not the XQuery superset), one
would need a repeating ASBIE of a prefix/namespace pair ABIE, with
which a downstream process can unambiguously interpret the prefixes
used in the given expression.

And it means the existing simple XPath expression BBIE has a built-in
assumption about in-scope namespace bindings.

But ... this is all speculation until someone identifies a need with
an official comment to the UBL committee for
consideration.  According to the committee meeting minutes, public
review draft 2 should be out soon ... a good opportunity to submit comments.

Thanks, Steve.

--
Contact us for world-wide XML consulting & instructor-led training
Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/