ubl-dev message

Subject: UBL 2.1 PRD2 prerelease package available for testing

Hello UBL developers,

Those of you who have been following the progress of UBL 2.1 (our first
revision since 2006) will be interested to know that the UBL TC has
submitted the second 2.1 Public Review Draft to OASIS.  We're told that
it probably won't be formally published for another couple of weeks, but
you can download the committee's version of the PRD2 package now at

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/download.php/42317/UBL-2.1-PRD2-20110526.zip

Documentation will be found at the root directory of the zip archive in
parallel XML (DocBook), PDF, and HTML versions.

We expect the only differences between this package and the one that
will be posted by OASIS for the public review to be in relation to
document URLs and other features specific to the OASIS release process;
the schemas shouldn't change.  (Any problems discovered at this point
will be addressed in the next public review, PRD3.)  Note that the
document URLs given on the cover page of the documentation are
placeholders for ones to be assigned by OASIS when they release the
package for public review.

We urge everyone to download and begin testing this version.  We're
particularly interested in feedback concerning the new digital signature
extension mechanism, which enables XML Dsig "out of the box" and
supports advanced digital signature protocols such as XAdES.

You can start submitting comments right now, but for legal reasons you
MUST use the UBL TC comment facility for anything that we as a committee
can use in our work.  To submit comments, use the "Send a Comment"
button on the TC web page at

http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/

Here are some quick summary points about UBL 2.1:

  - Maintains UBL 2.0 support for ordering, invoicing, sourcing,
    fulfilment (shipping), billing, and payment

  - Expands the set of documents from 31 document schemas in 2.0 to 62
    document schemas in 2.1 (expected to be 64 in PRD3)

  - Expands the library of reusable CCTS 2.01 (ISO 15000-5) conformant
    document components from which the documents are assembled from about
    2000 items in UBL 2.0 to about 2200 in UBL 2.1

  - Adds support for etendering; sales reporting and vendor managed
    inventory; collaborative planning, forecasting, and replenishment;
    intermodal freight management; and utilities reporting

  - Enhances support for taxes and downstream financial services

  - Completes genericode code list support

  - Supports XAdES and other advanced digital signature mechanisms

  - Completely backward compatible with 2.0 (i.e., any UBL document
    instance that validated against a schema in 2.0 will validate against
    the corresponding schema in 2.1)

Jon Bosak
Chair, OASIS UBL TC