ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Free UBL NDR 2.1 schema generator

At 2011-10-24 07:16 +0100, Stephen D Green wrote:
I would think a walkthrough kind of tutorial for using it might be of
great benefit to a beginner wanting to try generating some UBL
NDR conformant schemas.

I'm up for that, but I would need direction as to what aspects of process need illumination in such a tutorial. I'm a geek writing documentation for a stylesheet, and I tried to make the documentation as clear as possible ... but I know some in this audience have not been receptive to some of my stylesheet documentation in the past. I put more effort into my books.

The principles of CCTS 2.01 and the use of 11179 in modeling the information and defining the spreadsheets is covered in my book I announced a couple weeks ago is now available for free preview:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl-dev/201110/msg00000.html

Working top down, what would you recommend to be in the table of contents of such a tutorial? Keeping in mind that my book will also be updated so that students of my instructor-led training classes can use this stylesheet on day 2 of the 2-day class. Oh, and what about the CVA/genericode work for code lists and data type qualifications (as opposed to qualified data types)? I have a full-day instructor-led training class for that and its associated book also for a free preview:

  http://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/clr-dev/201110/msg00000.html

Remember, too, that this stylesheet works in conjunction with the upcoming UBL NDR 2.1, and the documentation will be updated to include hyperlinks into the NDR document for each rule that the stylesheet implements. Perhaps I should await the production of that document before working on a tutorial.

The reason this stylesheet was written was to prove that the new UBL NDR 2.1 has everything needed and nothing that is not needed (a concern about the UBL NDR 2.0). And so that other projects unrelated to UBL can use the UBL NDR 2.1 and this stylesheet to produce their own schemas.

Anyone downloading my package can recreate the UBL 2.1 PRD2 schemas from the included UBL 2.1 PRD2 genericode expression of the spreadsheets. Hopefully that illustrates that other projects can get the same results for themselves.

Perhaps people would write their own
spreadsheet-to-genericode (or even something like an XML form
such as with XForms or Infopath -to-genericode) toolset to use
with these stylesheets

Exactly! Which is one reason I used OASIS genericode as the vendor- and product-neutral expression of the ISO/IEC 11179 CCTS V2.01 values reflected from a given business document model. Users of the stylesheet can use any organization or maintenance environment for their model. XML (using genericode) is playing the proper role of bridging two systems (model maintenance and schema production) without either system knowing how the other works.

(say, until they are ready to invest in a more fancy product).

Or build a more fancy product! My copyright allows this work to be used commercially by others provided the work is properly recognized. The execution time is negligible in the scheme of things in a product.

I hope to get attention from people to buy my books and my three days of instructor-led training, I'm not trying to sell the stylesheet (though I'll take donated money for its use! :{)} ).

Perhaps some may be interested in hiring me for consulting (or other consultants using these free stylesheets) regarding how to create all the technical artefacts (not just the schemas) for their projects.

(queue radio voice) "Operators are standing by!"

Thanks, Steve!

Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com