ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL and ISO 20022 mapping

Hello Marcel,
below some comments,

> Hello Andrew,
>
> Am 04.08.2012 11:48, schrieb Andrew.chilcott:
>>
>> Marcel
>>
>> I would be very interested to know what commercial use case you have
>> identified for a transformation from ISO20022 to UBL as
>>
> the main focus is on the transformation methods. My use case is a
> communication between a financial department and a governmental
> institutions in a northern European state.

as stated before ISO15000 and ISO20022 are different standards/repository
so the mapping with CII V2 is probably provided as an excel worksheet.

Transformations are mainly accomplished through commercial translators
especially within large hubs/service providers because they often have to
show a proven quality in their service process (certifications are
sometime involved as well).

XML-2-XML conversions are today executed through XSLT transformations and
here probably some open source could help as well by saving money.

Anyway whatever is the source a translator is suggested even if they are
still based on XSLT because they are provided along with a mapping tool
that simplifies the creation/maintenance of the conversion adapter.

Even if XSLT and available tools are seriously simplifying the mapping
process and the conversion costs, compared to plain old EDI, they are
still seen as a difficult thing especially by non-technical business
experts.

A generic translator today provides all instruments to transform any
XML-based standard.  Probably the only gap is the missing of real business
oriented tools... often tools are too technical.

As standards are adopted through their subset/profiles and according user
group guidelines, the existance of generic XSLT convertors are not useful,
so there is usually the need to go through each specification to make a
correct conversion.

I would say the mapping job it is still a time-consuming activity.

Best regards

Roberto Cisternino, JAVEST

--
* JAVEST by Roberto Cisternino