ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Expected date for official release of UBL 2.1?

Thank you for your question, Veronica!

At 2012-12-19 10:51 -0500, Veronica Gomez wrote:
I would like to know if there is an expected date for the official release of UBL 2.1.

You can track the UBL Technical Committee progress here:

   https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/

Several messages indicate that development and review of version 2.1 was quite advanced, with a second public review ending on September 2011 (<https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl>https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/tc_home.php?wg_abbrev=ubl). However, as of December 2012 the latest version of UBL on the list of approved OASIS strandards is still 2.0 (<https://www.oasis-open.org/standards>https://www.oasis-open.org/standards).

You posted your question while the most recent TC meeting was being held by teleconference. I have just moments ago posted the minutes of this week's calls here:

  https://lists.oasis-open.org/archives/ubl/201212/msg00018.html

Under the agenda item of "time line" you can see that we hope to publish UBL 2.1 PRD3 in January 2013 for a 15-day public review period for comment. At this time the schemas for the final UBL 2.1 will be frozen (unless, of course, the public review reveals a catastrophic issue that requires repair).

Organizations wishing to use UBL 2.1 can assess the risk of using the January 2013 PRD3 release, understanding the intent (but not the guarantee) of the committee that the schemas will not be changing. If they have to change, then we start again with another public review, so it is our intent not to change them unless we have to.

The OASIS process has a number of steps with date constraints that push out the final "blessing" of the January PRD3 release to be the final UBL 2.1 OASIS Standard. For those interested in this time line, the steps are here in gory detail:

   https://www.oasis-open.org/policies-guidelines/tc-process

Provided that no catastrophic issues of the PRD3 schemas are found, we anticipate to have OASIS UBL 2.1 standardized by about June or July 2013. But if, indeed, no catastrophic issues are found, then any work done with PRD3 will be equivalent to UBL 2.1. If catastrophic issues are found, we have to republish a public review draft as PRD4 and start the clock again.

Hence the critical importance of people inside and outside of the committee participating in the public review. That review will be announced to this list as well as to official channels.

All of our committee work is publicly available for download. You can see drafts of the work as they progress. In fact the minutes I cite above document the intention of having a "draft of the public review draft" published as light reading for technical committee insomniacs during the holiday period. In the new year the committee will direct changes and polish in preparation for the Public Review Draft for January, with the schemas that are not intended to change for UBL 2.1.

I hope this helps understand the situation. The committee has been working very hard on UBL 2.1 to arrive at a specification that meets the needs of the many people who have been participating.

p.s. we are always looking for new participation in the UBL Technical Committee, so I invite UBL-Dev readers to consider joining OASIS and our Technical Committee to contribute to our work and our final products ... already issues have been pushed off to a future UBL 2.2 and subsequent releases to meet newly identified requirements that were too late to include in UBL 2.1 ... if you want to see new things in UBL, please consider joining the committee! If you cannot join the committee, please consider using the Public Comment Page in order to submit your input to the committee:

   https://www.oasis-open.org/committees/comments/index.php?wg_abbrev=ubl

p.p.s. I wish all UBL-Dev readers a happy, safe and healthy holiday and new year!

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com