ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] UBL DespatchAdvice - Delivered Quantity - Who to represent in another quantity/Unit of Measure

At 2013-07-10 22:24 -0300, Carlos Martin wrote:
Ken, thanks for your advices.
Your recomendation es useful for me.
I have another problem.... how can I represent in the ProductActivity Document? because, the <cac:Shipment> element is not in the SalesItem element.

But SalesItem has Quantity that Item does not have (and so is not in DespatchAdvice):

http://docs.oasis-open.org/ubl/prd4-UBL-2.1/mod/summary/reports/UBL-ProductActivity-2.1.html#Table_SalesItem.Details

So perhaps you could associate multiple sales items on the one data line:

<SupplyChainActivityDataLine>
  <cbc:ID>...</>
  <cbc:SupplyChainActivityTypeCode>...</>
  <cac:SalesItem>
     <cbc:Quantity>2</>
     <cac:Item>
       <cbc:Description>Coil</>
       <cac:Dimension>
          <cbc:AttributeID>Length</>
          <cbc:Measure unitCode="MTR">500</>
       </>
     </>
  </>
  <cac:SalesItem>
     <cbc:Quantity>1</>
     <cac:Item>
       <cbc:Description>Coil</>
       <cac:Dimension>
          <cbc:AttributeID>Length</>
          <cbc:Measure unitCode="MTR">200</>
       </>
     </>
  </>
</>

Does this then change my suggestion for DespatchAdvice to abandon the total length and only report the piecemeal lengths to be as follows?

  <cac:DespatchLine>
    <cbc:ID>...</>
    <cbc:Note>Cable</>
    <cbc:DeliveredQuantity>2</>
    <cac:OrderLineReference>
      ...a pointer to the order line of 1200 metres of cable...
    </>
    <cac:Item>
      <cbc:Description>Coil</>
      <cac:Dimension>
        <cbc:AttributeID>Length</>
        <cbc:Measure unitCode="MTR">500</>
      </>
    </>
  </>
  <cac:DespatchLine>
    <cbc:ID>...</>
    <cbc:Note>Cable</>
    <cbc:DeliveredQuantity>1</>
    <cac:OrderLineReference>
      ...a pointer to the order line of 1200 metres of cable...
    </>
    <cac:Item>
      <cbc:Description>Coil</>
      <cac:Dimension>
        <cbc:AttributeID>Length</>
        <cbc:Measure unitCode="MTR">200</>
      </>
    </>
  </>

Contrast that use of multiple despatch lines with the earlier suggestion of using multiple GoodsItem:

2013/7/10 G. Ken Holman <<mailto:gkholman@cranesoftwrights.com>gkholman@cranesoftwrights.com>
       <cac:DespatchLine>
  <cbc:ID>...</>
  <cbc:DeliveredQuantity unitCode="MTR">1200</>
  <cac:OrderLineReference>
  </>
  <cac:Item>
     <cbc:Description>Cable</>
  </>
  <cac:Shipment>
     <cbc:ID>...</>
     <cac:GoodsItem>
     <cbc:Description>Coil</>
     <cbc:Quantity>2</>
     <cac:MeasurementDimension>
        <cbc:AttributeID>Length</>
        <cbc:Measure unitCode="MTR">500</>
     </>
     </>
     <cac:GoodsItem>
     <cbc:Description>Coil</>
     <cbc:Quantity>1</>
     <cac:MeasurementDimension>
        <cbc:AttributeID>Length</>
        <cbc:Measure unitCode="MTR">200</>
     </>
     </>
  </>
  </>

I think the way you decide is to feel comfortable that the semantic implied by the element name is what you want to use to express the concept in your system. Also, consistency between the two documents may be more attractive.

But, as before, I hope that others on the committee will offer their suggestions. I'm just answering as an exercise in data model analysis.

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/ |
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ profile: https://plus.google.com/116832879756988317389/about |