ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Demonstration web browser environment for UBL invoice form filling [UBL-Dev]

Well XForms is having a second life these days. The main obstacle was browser adoption, but now you can use it on any browser with javascript support thanks to plugins like XSLTForms (http://www.agencexml.com/xsltforms.htm) or betterForms (http://betterform.de/)

The case with XForms is like many other standards created around XML: slow adoption. I think is because most XML standards suppose an start from zero and few people is willing to pay the initial cost, but later, the benefits of using standards become well know and suddenly the interest resurges.

Currently our company is working on UBL with XForms. As soon as we get something to show, I will share it here. Also we like to participate in a future calling of the UBL Human Interface SC.

Sorry for not using the exact name of Frameless, it should be frameless.io (http://frameless.io/xslt/ )

- BIll
-----Mensaje original-----
De: G. Ken Holman [mailto:g.ken.holman@gmail.com] En nombre de G. Ken Holman
Enviado el: lunes, 31 de marzo de 2014 5:06 p. m.
Para: William Velasquez; UBL-Dev
CC: Stephen Cameron (steve.cameron.62@gmail.com)

At 2014-03-31 21:40 +0000, William Velasquez wrote:
>Interesting  demo. For recent security restrictions on browsers, I had
>to install a local web server (Mongoose is ideal
>https://code.google.com/p/mongoose/) and then it runt well.

I used Apache for my local testing.

>I have two questions:
>
>1. You say
>
> > For many years UBL Technical Committee members have been talking
> about needing to see at least a conceptual data entry utility for
> manual entry of UBL documents.
>
>Isn't this already provided by XForms?

We discussed XForms way back when.  The Human Interface Subcommittee was soliciting membership and support from those familiar with XForms, and we didn't get anyone involved.

   http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/ubl/hisc

But as I understood it at the time, XForms, just like HTML Forms, is but the UI component.  What was needed was a demonstration implementation illustrating the mapping of the UI components to UBL.  That required client-side logic to interact with the XForms in order to produce the UBL document.

I'm not a JavaScript programmer, but I know a bit about XSLT.  Only with the advent of Saxon-CE am I able to dabble in this browser-side-programming space now.  And I found it very straightforward to create the demonstration environment.

>2. There is a similar XSLT on browser processor: Frameless. Is the
>stylesheet you created compatible with it?

Please forgive my ignorance as I am unfamiliar with Frameless.  I just did a google search and I am curious.

>Or XSLT on browser isn't standardized yet?

I note the reference on their web site to Saxon-CE extension elements and functions.  I think *standards* for browser interaction to XSLT 2 are a long way off, but Saxon certainly sets up a definition for others to consider.

Does that mean my code would port as is to their environment?  Unfortunately I don't have the time right now to check.  It would be an interesting project.

Thank you for bringing this to my attention!

--
Public XSLT, XSL-FO, UBL & code list classes: Melbourne, AU May 2014 | Contact us for world-wide XML consulting and instructor-led training | Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/ |

---