ubl-dev message

Subject: RE: [ubl-dev] Open invitation to contribute to the OASIS UBL 2.1 International Data Dictionary (IDD)

At 2014-05-21 21:31 +0000, William Velasquez wrote:
>> But this question was not raised for the UBL
2.0 IDD for Spanish, so it may be that the one
set of Spanish language definitions have
sufficed in a business milieu for multiple marketplaces.

I agree. Taking a look to the current
translation, most of the terms are common to all
countries, only few (maybe less than 5%) are country specific.

Also UBL is currently implemented in only two
Spanish-speaking countries: Spain and Perú (as
far I know), and in the case of Perú, I see that
many of the non-universal terms were used in customizations.

Yes, there is a difference between translated
semantics and the definitions suitable for a customization.

The translated semantics should be context free
describing what the concept is, not how it is applied.

For example, the *concept* of tax is a semantic
that needs to be translated for the business
object used to express something that is a
tax.  But the fact that one country needs two
taxes and another country needs three taxes and
that they have particular application or context
is a facet of a customization of UBL.  Such
nuance does not belong in the definition.

Of course it would be best if we could have only
one definition in Spanish for each of the
concepts.  Each country implementing OASIS UBL
already has an obligation to define and describe
that country's customization of OASIS UBL and how and where it is used.

A good example of a well-documented and detailed
customization of OASIS UBL is the Danish customization:

  http://oioubl.info

After the manager of the spreadsheet addresses
your concerns we may find that end up still with
only a single spreadsheet for Spanish.

I look forward to any further insights you may have.

Free 5-hour lecture: http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/udemy.htm |
Crane Softwrights Ltd.            http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/ |
G. Ken Holman                   mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ profile:      http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/about |