ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: [ubl-dev] Use of UN/ECE rec28 in UBL cbc:TransportMeansTypeCode

You are correct this is a usage question for UNECE.  And it is answered as part of the formal Recommendation.

This coding system is used in EDIFACT message and there are guidelines published at:

Under the Rec 28 section.  Basically your understanding is correct and it is formally stated:

Mode (M)

Mode of transport code as defined in Recommendation 19

Code value

3 character alphanumeric code value comprising characters 0 to 9 and upper case A to Z.

In certain instances the code value itself may be structured, where the lead character(s) represent the general description and where the subordinate or sub-type specific descriptions are represented by code entries with a further trailing character. For example, in maritime transport the code value "50" represents "General cargo vessel", whilst "501" is a subordinate code entry that represents "Grain vessel".

For ease of reference, certain code values are shown in two parts (e.g. "50 1". In use, the code value should be a single value with no imbedded space characters (e.g. "501).

The Transport Mode is required as the first part of the Code to uniquely identify the Transport Means. So where we use both (as in ShipmentStage) the Transport Mode code may be appear twice and be duplicated.