ubl-dev message

Subject: UBL / XBRL / ebXML / UN-CEFACT

Would the list please tell me how UBL has been related to XBRL, ebXML and UN-CEFACT?

From what I have read around the topic, it seems work has been done to converge these different standards/formats. But I have found no ready statements on how this has been done and to what end.

So would I be correct to assume that:

(i) in those areas where UBL, ebXML, xbrl and UN-CEFACT map, they will or have been made syntactically identical, and
(ii) in those areas where they merely overlap, they would be / have been made as semantically identical as possible?

Assuming, that is, that everyone agrees it is desirable to have the least translation as possible when matching data from different sources...

So if you have an invoice (or indeed a contract award notice) in UBL, would it be as sensible as I imagine to to make it identical *in those parts of each data set in each language that overlap*? So a supplier or contractor or business entity field is always the same name, in the same place, with the same characteristics?

I have retained from what I had read of UBL's relationship with UN-CEFACT and ebXML the impression that they are identical where they overlap. How accurate is this?

I understand from what I've read of xbrl, however, that it contains the facility for referring elements to different regulatory schema or whatever, so that at least it can be recorded that a contract value, eg, has been entered according to particular accounting rules. Looks complicated. But since the world (the accounting profession and the US government, at least) is adopting XBRL, wouldn't it make sense for UBL to simply to describe everything in XBRL?

If these questions are clearly the product of utter ignorance, I would be very grateful if you would say so and how.

Mark Ballard.