ubl-dev message

Subject: [Announce] Commercial schema subset preparation service

Fellow UBL Dev List members,

As you know from previous posts of mine, the tools used by the UBL committee to create the XSD schemas from the CCTS expressions of business information entities are free to download and use from my web site. These tools are used to create schemas for the UBL project and the BDE (Business Document Envelope) project, both of which have information models expressed using CCTS.

These tools have features supporting creating subset schemas. Subset schemas work well in conjunction with the complete schemas in a UBL data flow.

Typically, one would use the complete schemas to validate incoming UBL instances to ensure that the received document conforms to the syntactic constraints of the standard.

Because of the (necessary!) magnitude of the formal specification, some document creation tools are overwhelmed by the complete schemas. Here, the internal use of a smaller subset schema can drive software to generate the required documents more manageably. One would still use the complete schemas after creation and before sending the document to confirm that the generation software did not violate any of UBL's constraints. But because the focus of creating content is on only select parts of UBL, the creation tool works only with the corresponding subset schema and doesn't fall over dead from weight or exhaustion.

Having the free tools available is one thing ... making the time to install and configure the tools is another.

To meet this need, I am experimenting with offering, for a set fee of a fixed number of consulting hours, a schema subset preparation service. In short, the client populates an online Google spreadsheet with their specification of the subset of UBL they need, they ask me for validation artefacts, and I return a ZIP of XSD files they can use with their software. I will also accommodate code lists through genericode and CVA if desired.

I've outlined the process here:

<http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/services-uxo.htm>http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/links/services-udev.htm

I'm still working out the nitty-gritty details, but I hope this is of interest to some.

Streaming hands-on XSLT/XPath 2 training @US$45: http://goo.gl/Dd9qBK |
Crane Softwrights Ltd. _ _ _ _ _ _ http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/u/ |
G Ken Holman _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ _ mailto:gkholman@CraneSoftwrights.com |
Google+ blog _ _ _ _ _ http://plus.google.com/+GKenHolman-Crane/posts |