ubl-dev message

Subject: Re: I have a favor to ask

David,

you can find plenty of samples of UBL invoices here:

https://www.softwarepakketten.nl/pag_epa/177&bronw=7/voorbeeld_ubl_facturen.htm

you can also take the test documents that are used in PEPPOL as examples:

https://github.com/OpenPEPPOL/peppol-bis/tree/master/rules/peppolbis-trdm001-2.0-order/Tests

(that is for order .. but they have many more)

and I am sure you can find plenty more online that are used to validate compliance with other implementations

Kees D.

Van: David Goodenough <david.goodenough@broadwellmanor.co.uk>
Verzonden: donderdag 4 juli 2019 16:16
Aan: ubl-dev@lists.oasis-open.org
Onderwerp: [ubl-dev] I have a favor to ask

As you may recall I said that I was going to implement an open source UBL client that did all its transactions by email.

I am well on the way to implementing this code, and to that end I have built a UBL Viewer which will currently load and display any of the following UBL transaction types:-

ApplicationResponse, BillOfLading, BusinessCard, CertificateOfOrigin, CreditNote, DebitNote, DespatchAdvice, DigitalAgreement, DigitalCapability, DocumentStatus, DocumentStatusRequest, Enquiry, Enquiry Response, Forwarding Instructions, FreightInvoice, FulfilmentCancellation, GoodsItemItinerary, Invoice, OrderCancellation, OrderChange, Order, OrderResponse, OrderResponseSimple, PackingList, ReceiptAdvice, Reminder, RemittanceAdvice, SelfBilledCreditNote, SelfBilledInvoice and Statement

It always loads the document using the 2.2 schema, so it will only display valid documents. It should be capable of displaying any valid internal substructures.

In order to show the document in a way that is easy to navigate, it takes many of the lower and intermediate level substructures and summarizes them. You can open up the full definition, but by default it is hidden. So for instance the summary of an Amount is the currency code and the amount, and the summary of a Party is the first Party Name. It also follows the UBL rule of not displaying anything that is empty.

For all transactions except BusinessCard, DigitalCapability and DigitalAgreement the Party data is by default un-expanded, because in the full email client these are the only places you will find new Partys. All the others will have been specified earlier and the client will check that those details that are supplied match the original copy. This is obviously not possible when just load an individual file as the Viewer holds no state, but the point of the viewer is to make sure that I am displaying the transactions correctly, not to manage UBL objects in the long term - although it might be useful as a debugging tool.

The idea is to produce something that is simple enough for a user to navigate by eye, but informative enough that they know where to look for the details they need.

I have loaded all the example documents, and they seem to load correctly, but I am aware that the UBL standard can be used in a variety of ways, and so I need to check that the summarization is being done properly in as many cases as possible. The fall back being that if the calculated summary is empty, the summarized is not hidden, but rather displayed.

So the favor I am asking is for any sample UBL files that anyone might have which I can try, to make sure that I am tolerant of all varieties of document. As Java and thus Java and UBL all use Unicode for string encoding, I should be able to process data in any language, although at least in the early stage having documents in English makes it is easier for me to ensure that I am displaying the right data correctly.

Once I have enough samples and they have displayed correctly I would be quite happy to release the JAR file for others to try on their own data (it is written in Scala, and is a standalone jar that will run with any Java-8 JVM. It will move to a Java-11 or later, but JavaFX-11 is missing one crucial methods that was present (although well hidden) in JavaFX-8 but which there seems to be a move to reinstate in an un-hidden way. Eventually once the code is stable enough I will release the source.

I am of course happy to promise that I will not release any UBL files that are sent to me to anyone else, and that I will not display viewable images of them either, but I would rather not go through a formal NDA arrangement.

For anyone who is generous enough to send me files, could you forward them as attachments to this email address.

Thank you in advance,

David